Surprise

Adrean

I knew fate hated me sooner than I expected. I knew confrontation with Anariel was inevitable. I just didn't expect to see her in her ethereal beauty right away. The Asian mistisa gazed her deep azure eyes against my onyx ones. Her dark, midnight blue hair cascaded in the familiar waves I never thought I'd see again sooner.

And maybe feel...

I pulled myself out of that reverie, remembering how she left me on our last tryst.

"Hi, Kuya Adrean," Christine smiled, hugging me, a typical sign of Filipino friendship. I reciprocated happily, loving her like a little sister myself. I've known her for years, so, it was nothing to her highly judgemental father.

The Grandmaster gave me a disapproving look. "You're late."

I grinned sheepishly. "The cab from the flat took too long, and people were crossing the zebra lanes like crazy today."

"Zebra lanes?" Anariel spoke, a curious look on her expression. "Like, places where zebras loiter? I didn't know they have that here, too. I thought it was only the carabaos."

I heard Sir Tzuki mumble, "People and their ignorance of Davao." It was low, but, I was sure she heard it, too. There was a frown on her face, and it just have meant that she unlocked that part of her abilities.

To cut the thick ice, I said, "British, baby. I was bred and raised there for quite some time, wearing those jumpers during the winter."

Maybe it was just me, but, I could have sworn that she swooned over that knowledge. I knew I was hot, considering the Nephilim genes, but, it was too comical to be real.

Silence filled the room.

Mission failed.

"Pa," Christine ushered her father.

Sir Tzuki chuckled lightly. "Okay, I guess formalities aren't needed."

"Met him in America, so, no deetz needed," Anariel nodded. She glanced at Dmitri with a glare that spoke of volumes about her questions, some, I was willing to answer.

"Going straight to the point," Sir began, "I am aware of your need to stop Sariel from conquering the world. I noted and agreed with the rest of the Council members—"

"There's a council?" She whispered curiously, low enough for ones like Dmitri and I to hear.

Dmitri replied, "Democratically, yes," while Sir, cluelessly, went on, "that we cannot just randomly help you."

There was a loud silence, followed by Anariel's, "What? Why? How? Whadda who da what now?" that came in short breaths.

It was Christine who stepped up to fill in the puzzle. "Thats because it's my job to fill you in."

Anariel gave us a look of utter confusion, disbelief and a mild fascination rolled with something else.

"The Freemasons don't really accept women in their guild," I filled in.

Realization dawned on her face. "Keterina's a Job's Daughter, isn't she?"

"Yes," Christine and I said in unison.

She's smart, but not smart enough to survive on her own. Just how much did the Five shelter her?

"And," Christine went on, "I'm tasked to be the one to train you."

She snorted. "You're human. No offense, but, I'd rather have Dmitri d—"

Christine grabbed Anariel by the arm, used her weight against Anariel and did a spin with her legs. Anariel instantly fell on her back, groaning.