If You Think I'm A Mistake, (Kevin McCullough Love Story)

"Damn you, Daniel!" I yelled to no one. My boss won't pick up his phone, and I have no idea who I'm looking for. My boss, Daniel Tate is good friends with Bryan Stars, the alternative youtube interviewer. I always begged Danny to introduce Bryan and I, but he always insisted that, that was unprofessional.  A few weeks ago though, out of purely fate, Bryan called asked Danny, who if I haven't mentioned, owns a photography company for which I work, if he could send out a photographer for the Bryan Stars tour 2013. Not wanting to give me the satisfaction, he asked a few other workers at the company, but none of them were willing to commit to that long term of a job, or drop everything and go on tour for two to three months, so in the end, Daniel lost his pride and I got an assignment.

"You'll make good decisions, won't you, chick pea?" Daniel asked me in his fatherly tone that he uses when he worries about me. I just smiled at him, taking him in my arms in a big hug. Danny is a 34 year old man, with slightly greying, dark brown hair and powerful green eyes. He scares a lot of people, but I was only 16 when he took me in and supported me, like I was his own. He had never been married or had kids, so I was like family to him and I had never been treated right by my real family, so he gave me something that I never knew, love. I pulled out of the hug and smiled a reassuring smile his way. He kissed my forehead and with that I walked away from him and boarded my plane.

Now, I'm sat out side of the airport, sulking in my confusion and helplessness. Daniel never told me who I was meeting, and I have no idea where to go, I'd never been to San Francisco. "Are you Libby?" A voice called down to me. I looked at the sidewalk, and saw a pair of classic black Vans, like mine. I moved my gaze up to find the face of one of the members of a band on the tour. I had checked all of the bands out, before I left. I was into the kind of music, I had just never heard of these bands. I liked Ghost Town, Her Bright Skies and SayWeCanFly, but apparently Braden Barrie from SWCF, had to pull out of the tour, the day before, because he couldn't cross the Canadian boarder, and CatchingYourClouds will fill in for the first few shows. I felt really bad for the guy. I think the guy standing in front of me is from Ghost Town, I could be wrong, but I want to say that he plays guitar.

I realized that I had been blankly staring at him, and mentally slapped myself. "Yes, I am. Who are you?" I asked, getting to my feet, and reaching for my duffle, but having it taken from me. The guy threw it over his shoulder, and asked if I had anything else, to which I shook my head. He smiled and reached his other hand out, I hesitated before putting mine in his and shaking, while he said, "My name is Alix. I play guitar in the band Ghost Town, Bryan sent me to get you, because he had preparations to make for the first show. So, if you don't mind, we should get going. we're about forty five minutes, maybe an hour from the venue and it's..." He raised his arm, pushing his shirt sleeve back and examining his watch, "a quarter to two." He finished, turning and gesturing for me to follow.

I took a deep breath, and trailed behind him, matching my footing with his. It's a bad habit that I have, because it annoys most people. I let my mind wander, and soon my eyes followed, taking in all of the things in front of me. I took pictures of random things, that most people wouldn't care to even take notice of, to which Alix found strange. He studied me, as I got down on my knees by his car, and took a picture of the concrete. Usually, concrete is just concrete, but the way that the light was hitting this particular spot intrigued me. The particles cemented in the dried, black ocean of asphalt were glistening in the ultraviolet rays, casting down from above. I got down at different angles, taking several pictures each time, before standing back up and examining the photo's that I just took. I absentmindedly wiped the front of my jeans as I scrolled through the pictures. "It's amazing how old, busted asphalt cement can look so much like a sky full of stars from the right angle." I smiled, bringing my gaze away from the camera and up to Aix's face.