Chapter 16: Anywhere Else Than Here Today

Sarthaal. Elspeth had never seen such an impressive excavation. The Imperial Office of Historical Preservation handled most of the archaeological research in Cyrodill. Any such research sponsored by Arcane University usually involved a notebook and, perhaps, a table for organizing artifacts. But Saarthal was something to behold. The mages had built wooden levels leading down into the pit that held the entrance to the ruins. The top levels contained two sections: a living area where researchers could camp and a research area where artifacts were stored on shelves, protected by tents.

Tolfdir gathered the mages around. "We are about to enter the ruins. The College has taken great pains to ensure the preservation of the ruins. It is imperative that you follow the basic principles of archaeological research. Take careful notes but do not remove any artifacts without permission."

"Do you think there's treasure here? Something to make J'zargo a powerful wizard?"

The Khajiit apparently did not know when to quit. Onmund glared at him and Lydia stepped up and said, "If you take anything from these ruins, I will cut your tail off." For just a moment, J'zargo looked a bit fearful. Meanwhile, Lydia turned back to the group and winked at Elspeth and Onmund, who tried to contain their laughter

Tolfdir unlocked the entrance and led the mages down a narrow path and into an open area where wooden scaffolding had been installed. Tolfdir continued to lecture. "Saarthal is believed to be the first Nord settlement in Skyrim and is of great interest to the College. What we hope to discover are various applications of magic throughout history, evidence of magic use either in the form of artifacts or spells. As some of you may know, Saarthal was one of the earliest Nord settlements in Skyrim. It was also the largest. Sacked by the elves in the infamous "Night of Tears," not much is known about what happened to Saarthal. This is an exciting opportunity for us. We're particularly interested in the prevalence of magical seals placed on the tombs here. It's rather unlike anything we've encountered." He moved on town to the lowest level of the ruin and started looking around.

Elspeth looked at Onmund, who still appeared apprehensive. "I wonder if everyone else would be so happy to rifle through the bones of their ancestors," he said as he shook his head disapprovingly. "I find it hard to believe this excavation was approved."

Brelyna, who had earlier been excited about the project, now looked dejected. "To think, my ancestors destroyed the homes of Onmund's ancestors. So much bloodshed," she said sadly. Nirya nodded her head and Aine looked on sadly.

"Oh for the love of Talos," came a voice from behind them. It was Lydia. She looked at Brelyna and glowered. "Enough with the ancestor guilt. Do you know what happened after the Night of Tears? Ysgramor returned with his companions, five hundred capable warriors, who kicked the elves all the way to whatever plane of Oblivion would have them." Then she turned to Onmund. "And these are my ancestors too. Have you been to any ruins lately? Have you seen what bandits do to them? Taking everything they can find. And necromancers? Desecrating the burial places with some seriously creepy magic." She observed the set up some more. "Everything here is arranged so carefully, so deliberately." Her voice was filled admiration and her curiosity was apparent. "As far as I'm concerned, the College is the best thing to happen to the ruins." Onmund and Brelyna looked a little sheepish but did not respond. She walked back toward Elspeth and whispered in her ear, "He's wound a little tight, don't you think?"

"Shut up," whispered Elspeth harshly, although she was secretly amused at Lydia's passion for arcane research. Balgruuf and Farengar were both strong supporters of these types of investigations. Lydia had the utmost respect for her ancestors, but try as she might to deny it, she had also been highly influenced by Farengar in the brief time she spent under his tutelage.