Chapter Twenty-Four: Sounds of Laughter, Shades of Life

The two-day trip to Windhelm was largely unremarkable. After dealing with snow bears and wolves around Fort Krastav, they stopped to camp. They kept watch in shifts and meant to sleep in pairs, but wound up keeping watch in pairs—the desire for conversation and company outweighing the need for sleep, at least on the first leg of their trip.

"I like having a third person," said Lydia as she and Elspeth passed a bottle of mead between them on their watch. "Especially someone like Onmund. With those spells, long range is his strength and he stays there. J'zargo was always all over the place. I didn't worry about him dying—well, except for the times I wanted to kill him—but I never knew what he was going to do. And it was exhausting."

"Yes," agreed Elspeth. "We're all very compatible." Thinking about life in Skyrim without any responsibilities made her smile. And then, when struck with reality, it hurt. She pulled her knees up to her chest and rested her chin as she narrowed her gaze to the ground.

"Are you okay?" asked Lydia, noting Elspeth's sudden change in mood.

"I'm fine," she whispered and gestured toward Onmund, who was sleeping on the other side of the fire, indicating that discussing whatever was on her mind would have to wait. Elspeth and Onmund were still in the early, playful stages of their relationship. Onmund was attentive and affectionate and with him Elspeth was content in a way that she had never been before. But the moment she started thinking about the future, uncertainty and anxiety ate away at her. And it was nerve wrecking no matter which way she thought about it. The search for Nerussa could take her far from the College or the Psijic Order could keep her there and both were dangerous. She took a deep breath and buried her face in her arms.

"What's wrong?" Onmund was up now and Lydia had taken over the bedroll. He sat down and put his arm around her.

She looked up and smiled weakly at him. "I'm just tired," she replied, which was only partly true.

He pulled her close and kissed her. "Why don't you go to sleep?"

"Don't you want me to keep you company?"

"Yes," he said. "If you rest your head on my lap, you can do both." He took a bottle of mead from his satchel.

"Okay," she said, although she really wasn't that sleepy. It was nice, however, to rest her head while he played with her hair. His touch was so natural and undemanding. With Onmund there was no pretense and Elspeth occasionally felt twinges of guilt for her inability to simply let go and enjoy the moments as they came. She sighed and nestled in closer to him; she wouldn't sleep but she could at least try to relax.

When Lydia woke up, they ate a quick breakfast and made their way to Windhelm. It was still early when they arrived at Candlehearth Hall and the inn was quieter than usual. The great hall was crowded, but the mood noticeably somber: the bard was not performing; there was little, if any, laughter, and no spirited arguments. Nothing.

"Why is it so depressing in here tonight?" asked Lydia.

"Friga Shatter-Shield was recently murdered," said the Susanna the Wicked as she cleared their tankards away and gestured toward the older woman in the far corner. "Her mother Tova has been in here every night since then, drowning her sorrows in cheap mead and wine." She shook her head sadly as she walked away. The news of the murder was chilling, and Onmund, thinking of his sister and her daughter, was especially troubled. Lying in bed that night, he told Elspeth that it was the first time he ever felt anything resembling homesickness since leaving Falkreath.

Lydia was waiting in the great room when they woke up the next day. After talking to Stenvar, a mercenary with considerable scouting experience, they decided to ride to Whiterun and walk to Fellglow Keep from there. It was the least adventurous of their options, but it would save three days of walking. They bought food for the trip and to bring back to Breezehome. It was late when they arrived and Lydia suggested going straight to bed and taking care of the books first thing in the morning. "If Alfhild gets a hold of us in the Bannered Mare, it could be days before she lets us leave again."