Chapter Three: Walk with Me

“I need to get to Whiterun.”

“You’ll want to change your armor if you’re heading that way,” Ralof advised.  “My sister runs the mill up in Riverwood.  I’m sure she’ll help you out.”

“Are you hungry?”  Elspeth was rummaging through her satchel.  The stamina elixers had replenished her energy somewhat, but did nothing for the severe hunger pangs that were sticking her in the gut.

“Hungry?” asked Ralof, “Sure, I guess.  Do you have more stamina elixir?”

“Better.  I have apples.”  She said as she held one out to him, “I took them from the keep.”

Ralof took the apple and smiled warmly, “You’re pretty resourceful, aren’t you?”

“Well, I try.”

“You did good Elspeth.  Very good.”

“Thank you.  Is Riverwood far?”

“Not too far, it’s right on this road.  If we hurry, we’ll get there tonight.”

But they didn’t hurry and not for lack of trying.  Both had underestimated how exhausted and weary they were and every time they tried running along, they keeled over, gasping, and gagging within moments.  Finally, they settled down to a slow but even pace.  The journey would take them time twice as long as Ralof anticipated, but he kept her alert with stories.  He told her how Ulfric bested High King Torygg in a duel fought in the traditional “old Nord way,” which gave him a legitimate claim to the throne.  He talked about his family and how they had founded Riverwood many generations ago.  He didn’t ask her a lot of questions, which was nice.

As they walked along he showed her various landmarks, including the Guardian Stones, three of the ancient, magic stones that dot Skyrim’s landscape: the Thief Stone, the Mage Stone, and the Warrior Stone.  Ralof urged her to touch and activate one.  She was not unfamiliar with such stones; Cyrodill had plenty of Doomstones and Runestones.  Those were familiar.  Magic in Skyrim, however, was new to her and she approached the stones with nervous anticipation.

As she moved closer to them she could feel vibration and hear humming—each stone had a unique sound and quiver as they drew in and dispersed the very essence of magic from within and throughout the atmosphere.  Indeed, these were powerful stones.  She examined each stone carefully.  “I’ve been training to be a battlemage since I was 10 years old.”

“Started young.  That explains a lot,” Ralof said, clearly impressed.

She paused at the Mage stone.  “I’m a Breton.  The magic, it’s in our blood, you know?  It should be an obvious choice.  But after what we saw today, I think this is the one,” she turned to the Warrior Stone and activated it.  Bright light from the stone shot into the sky and Elspeth felt increased strength in her blood.

“Warrior, good!” said Ralof, “Those stars will guide you to honor and glory.”

“I hope so.”

“I’m really glad you decided to come with me, Elspeth,” said Ralof.  His tone was slightly less lighthearted and more serious now.

“I’m glad I came with you too,” she said.  His comment warmed her heart but not wanting to become weepy, she turned to more pragmatic matters.  “I am not convinced the Imperials wouldn’t have arrested me again had I gone with Hadvar.”

“I don’t understand why they arrested you in the first place.  You were just passing throughafter crossing the border.  Really?”  Ralof sounded skeptical.