Bostyn's POV

"Bostyn! It's time for dinner." Danielle- I mean.. My mom yelled from the kitchen.

I close my sketchbook and toss it under my bed. I nearly trip over some shoes that were on the floor as I set out some homework assignments and powered on my laptop to make it seem as though I was working on my schoolwork.

"What'd ya make?" I ask casually, sliding my usual dining room chair out and sliding my phone into my pocket.

Jeff gave me a stern look, one I knew meant I needed to watch my manners.

"Grilled chicken and kale salad." Danielle replied, smiling at me before picking up her fork to eat.

Dinner was always the same. Danielle would make some weird tasting, "fresh" meal, we would all ask how each other's days went, and then they would get on me about school and homework.

"How's AP calculus going?" Jeff looked up from his meal and towards me before picking up his glass of water.

"Oh... It's good. Great." I lied. But what's new.

Danielle set her fork down and looked up at me, "you don't sound so sure about that."

I shrugged, "just takes time to get used to it I guess."

Danielle nodded and continued to eat quietly, Jeff, however, he talks about school for hours.

"Bostyn you need to make sure you're getting good grades. Your principal says as long as you maintain your grades you'll be valedictorian."

"I know I know. I'm doing okay right now. Calculus is my worst class. I'll have my grade up by the end of the month." I looked down at my plate.

The rest of dinner went along as usual. The same old questions about my classes, sports, and music. I had become so accustomed to the conversations in my household that I didn't even have to think of answers anymore. I just spit them out immediately, with almost no emotion, like a lifeless robot of some sort.

Once done with dinner, I helped with the dishes (again, as usual) and then sprinted back up the stairs and to my room.

I closed the door quietly, the ran to grab my beats headphones.

I'll admit, I am quite fortunate, I guess some would say spoiled. Don't get it wrong though, I'm very thankful and don't ask for much.

I plug them into my phone and play some Panic! At The Disco. Danielle and Jeff probably wouldn't approve of most of the music I listen to, but music is one of the few places I can have a little taste of freedom.

Once the music is on full blast, I open up Google again, searching the all too familiar name now: Sydney Sykes.

All that comes up is the story of the fire, I've read nearly everyone by now, but they only mention her death.

Even though I was only five at the time, I remember that day very vividly:

"Bos, how's the ice cream?" My father asked, smiling at me from the mirror in the car.

We were on our way home from soccer practice, my favorite sport at the time.

"Yummy." I giggled and continued to eat my chocolate dipped ice cream cone.

On the car drive home, I had fallen asleep. My father opened the car door and carried me inside to my room.

My eyes flickered open when he laid me down and tucked me in.

"Mom is going to start making dinner okay? I'll wake you up when it's done." He kissed my forehead and I nodded sleepily.

He left my room, the door cracked open still.