Our Story

"They know who she is," A deep voice argued. "You can't erase this with money."

"Money's what got me in this mess the first place."

I recognized the voice which happened to be Noah's. He paused, taking in what the other person in the other line had to say.

"I know, I know."

"No, I'm not gonna-"

"Okay. I understand what happened but that was years ago. She didn't have me back then."

Are they talking about me? Did 'she' refer to me?

My cheek was pressed up against the car window as we drove by trees. I controlled myself not to move through their whole conversation. Instead I pretended that I was still asleep.

After Noah said that, he hung up the call and threw his phone inside the glove compartment. The contact made a supressed thud and I took the opportunity to pretend that the sound woke me up.

I lifted my head up from my position, stretching my arms a bit.

"Where am I?" I rubbed my eyes.

"Neverland."

"Peter Pan?" I pretended to gasp only to punch Noah's arm lightly.

He tipped his pretend hat, "Yes, Wendy?"

"Doesn't Peter and Wendy end up together in the movie?" Elise chimed in.

I leaned to my side so I could look at her skeptically but Noah does the same thing. The tips of our heads smash into each other before we retreat back to our seats.

"Nice going Noah." I massaged my head with one hand.

"I don't know this Noah you speak of, Wendy."

I blinked at him, "He's that ugly old guy with the hook for a hand. Right Tinkerbell?"

Elise chuckled before answering. "That's right Wendy."

Silence passed us by before a smile creeped up my face, then Noah's, then Elise's. We burst laughing, my hands wrapped around my stomach.

I wipe the pretend tear in the corner of my eye.

I sit upright and clear my throat, "So um, who were you talking to just then?"

Noah kept his face blank as he drove. "What do you mean?"

When you nod your head yes but you wanna say no. Get it? Ha ha.

"You were talking to someone on the phone but I couldn't make out what you were saying. Who was that?"

"Oh. That-"

"That." I repeated ever so subtly.

"I was telling Mike to keep his distance. He almost ran into us awhile back. Can't believe someone gave him a license."

Lie.

"I can't believe that someone still has their job." Elise added jokingly.

Lie. Lie. Lie.

Why were they lying to me? I'm now sort of regretting my decision to tell them that it was okay not to tell me the whole story.

Sooner or later I was going to find out and if they weren't going to tell me themselves, I was going to find a way to know myself. But who was Noah really talking to on the phone?

Who did he refer to when he said 'they know who she is'? And why did Noah say he understood what happened years ago? What did happen?

I have so many questions with no answers.