It's all about trust

The room I found hadn’t been refreshed for a while. It was all neat with clean bedding and bathroom but a little dusty. I locked the door, threw my bag onto the floor and turned my shirt around.

Then I began to pace, wondering why I ever thought being friends, being anything to Klaus was a good idea. He was too unpredictable, too volatile, too… Klaus. Gad! He’d dragged me down here to New Orleans where I had to deal with not only him, but his siblings, Haley and whatever situation he was facing here in “taking back the city”. Whatever he meant by that. A whole new set of challenges – like I needed that right now.

I shook my head. The original hybrid’s ego knew no limits.  He was going take back the city and what was his? Then he was going to magnanimously accept my surrender to him? Yeah. Like that was ever going to happen. He was forgetting who he was dealing with. I’d seen him in action many times. I knew how ruthless he could be in getting what he wanted. If he thought he was just going to push his way into my heart and bed, he could think again.

After a while of berating an imaginary Klaus, I walked over the window and sank down onto what turned out be a really comfortable window seat. The view was lovely. I’d always wanted to see New Orleans, truth be told. And I was here when I didn’t want to be and not allowed to leave the house without him.

I had no idea how long I sat there, taking in the view without really seeing it. My mind was so occupied with my worries, aggravations – everything – that I was startled when I heard my phone buzz. Jumping up, I snatched it out of my bag. The name Elena popped up on the screen. I groaned remembering the texts and missed calls already waiting for me. I answered quickly.

“Elena?”

“Caroline? Thank God! Where have you been? Are you okay?” my friend’s voice was little more than a whisper. If not for my vampire senses, I probably wouldn’t have been able to tell what she had said.

“I’m fine. Dealing with the original family but so far they’ve only managed to greatly annoy me. What’s going on with you guys? Is Mom okay? Have you had any trouble with Silas?” I asked.

“Your mom’s fine, Care,” she said quickly.

“Is Tyler with you?”

“No. Look Care, I can’t talk long.”

“Are you guys okay?” I didn’t like the way this was sounding.

“So far. Look, I need your help,” she said, still whispering. “We need to find someone.”

“Tell me what you need,” I said.

“Do remember the masquerade ball? Katherine had forced you into helping her and she had a witch there also. Do you remember?”

“Of course. She did that spell where if she got hurt, you got hurt. She was going to kill everyone until she got the moonstone.”

There was a soft knock at my door. I ignored it.

“Yes! Caroline, I need to know who that witch was. I need her name,” Elena explained.

Another knock.

“Can she help us against Silas?” I hoped so.

“Definitely. I just need to know anything you can tell me about her. Her name, what she looked like, where she was from.”

I put the heel of my hand to my forehead as I scrambled to come up with any details. And it was hard to do as I turned and saw the doorknob twist as someone on the other side tried to open it.

“Well, let me think…”

“Care, please try. Hurry!” Elena sounded urgent now.

“I can’t remember the name. I remember…”