Mystic Falls Medium

I set up Rebekah’s laptop, it was a lot faster than mine, in the living room several minutes before the agreed upon time. I had no idea where Elijah was and Rebekah was on her phone talking to Matt. I went from room to room looking for a landline phone. Frustrated, I blew out an exhale when I made the circuit a second time and found nothing when I got back to the kitchen.

“I understand, sweetheart, I’m feeling a bit… frustrated myself,” Klaus drawled from the doorway.

Okay, yeah, there was that frustration but I wasn’t about to admit as much to him. No way!

His smug grin didn’t surprise me in the slightest. The way his eyes smoldered at me, well, that made me pause. Heat still pooled low in my belly and I was trying to play New Orleans Medium here.

“Get over yourself,” I snapped at him.

His grin widened. Damn him.

I approached him with my hand out. “Give me your phone.”

His eyes narrowed at that, the smile fading. “Why?”

“Why do you think?” I asked him. “I have no phone and I need to talk to Elena before we do this.”

“What are you up to?” he demanded.

“Klaus, I don’t need to remind you that Jeremy and Elena killed Kol while you practically watched,” I said. “Jeremy needs a heads up on what we’re doing. Kol may not be willing to tell anyone anything under the circumstances. Or he may just go off on Jeremy. You know what I mean?”

Klaus’ expression was serious as his gaze searched mine. I knew how much his family meant to him. I remembered the hurt on his face when I’d arrived at Elena’s house. Bonnie had trapped him there where he could see the scorched body of his brother and unable to do anything about it. Tyler had made a point of being there to gloat about it which made it even worse.

“Would you blame my brother if he were unwilling to cooperate?” Klaus asked bitterly.

I didn’t look away. I shook my head. “No, I wouldn’t,” I admitted. “He was trying to stop us from finding Silas, wasn’t he? Maybe he was the smart one.”

He hadn’t expected that answer from me.

“I want to make sure we all know what’s going on that we’re all as… respectful as we can be,” I explained. “We all stand to benefit from this in some way after all.”

Reaching into his pocket, he gave me his phone. “I’m going to remain here while you speak with her,” he told me.

Part of me wanted to yell at him and tell him he was a paranoid jackass. The other part of me had to admit that we’d played him so many times that I understood why he felt that way.

“Fine,” I told him, dialing Elena’s number.

I wasn’t terribly surprised when Damon answered, considering it would show Klaus’ phone calling. “Elena’s phone,” he answered.

“Damon, it’s me,” I told him. “Let me speak to Elena.”

“Is this about the big séance thingie Barbie Klaus was talking about?” he asked.

“Yes, it’s important. Put her on.”

“So why are you calling me from the mighty evil one’s phone?” Damon taunted. “Did he finally compel his way into your ---“

“Finish that sentence and I’ll stake you when I get back, I swear it.” I meant it.

Klaus’s expression was closed as Damon laughed and handed Elena her phone. “Caroline?”