Callin' Baton Rouge

Since I’d never been to Louisiana before, I didn’t know how long it would take for us to reach Baton Rouge. Turns out it took about an hour and a half. I rode in the back with Rebekah who talked excitedly about the shops we’d visit, showing me photos of various things we’d see on her phone. That had Klaus shaking his head as he drove. I knew what he was probably thinking. Why show me pictures of things on her phone that I’d be seeing for real in a matter of minutes. But she was so excited that I didn’t have the heart to say anything. Klaus’ gaze found mine in the rear view mirror and he winked at me.

I did miss my phone. I’d ask Rebekah how to access the internet when we got back to New Orleans. I felt cut off from the world, from home.

As if I’d conjured it with my thoughts, Klaus’ phone rang.

“To what do I owe the pleasure, Damon?” Klaus asked.

I focused on the call, hearing Damon’s familiar voice on the other end. “Well don’t you sound perky today?”

“Just enjoying life, mate.” Klaus told him, smiling. “What can I do for you?”

“Elena wants to talk to Caroline,” Damon announced.

Klaus held out his phone for me, watching me in the rear view mirror as I took it from him.

“Damon?” I asked.

“Caroline?” It was Elena’s voice.

“Hey! It’s me.”

“Caroline, what’s wrong? We’ve been calling…”

“My phone got destroyed,” I explained. “I got a call my first day here. It sounded like you but you were asking me about something Bonnie told both of us together and I was afraid it was Silas.”

“I haven’t actually talked to you or seen you since Klaus and Elijah took off with you at your mom’s house,” explained Elena.

Well, that proved I’d been right.

“You’re okay?” Elena asked.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Don’t worry about me. The Mikaelsons are taking very good care of me.”

“Seriously?” Elena sounded skeptical.

“Would I have gotten on the phone so quickly if I were chained in the dungeon?” I teased.

“Guess not.”

“How are all of you?” I asked. “How’s Mom?”

“Worried. I’ll let her know I talked to you,” Elena went on. “Silas hounded us, terrorized us all. And then all at once it just… stopped. I’m so glad we got to talk to you, Care, because Silas might be headed your way.”

I swallowed hard at that thought, my hand moving up to my chest where he’d drove the stake in my chest and left me for, I thought, dead. He came to me as Klaus. I blew out an exhale.

“Thanks, we’ll be on the lookout,” I told her.

“He’s still looking for Katherine, we lost her,” Elena went on. “And he still needs to bring down the veil. Gosh, there’s so much going on. Anyway, I just wanted to make sure you were okay. I know you must have been upset to realize that Silas was in Tyler’s head for a while. We think Tyler managed to get away from him though. It’s a long story but at one point, Silas lost his psychic powers and Tyler was able to get away. He might be headed in your direction too.”

Klaus’ gaze met mine again and I know both he and Rebekah were listening to the entire conversation. Klaus’ darkened expression told me what he thought of the possibility of Tyler showing up.