You Can't Keep Lying Through Your Teeth.

"Mm..?" Edgeworth placed his glass back down on the table. The third of the liquid that was left sloshed around a bit before settling.
"Cat got your tongue?" He furrowed his brow at Phoenix and Phoenix felt his trembling hands begin to become clammy - no, clammier.
"Oh-uh-I... S-sorry I didn't finish my sentence... Th-thank you.. For your.. Compliment... You did a good job, too.." Phoenix stuttered. Who was he kidding?! Edgeworth's performance had been feeble, at best, since he'd not been paying any attention whatsoever throughout the whole thing. He'd been staring at Phoenix and letting out a soft giggle every time Phoenix blushed. It was strange. Edgeworth always tried to make Phoenix blush. And when Phoenix did blush, he'd always be ever so... Flirtatio-

'PHOENIX! STOP THESE THOUGHTS! Edgeworth is certainly NOT the type of person to fall in love with an idiot like you.'

"Oh, it's ok. You just seem unsettled tonight, that's all." Phoenix noticed out of the corner of his eye that Edgeworth was now 4 centimetres away from him, not 5. Perhaps he'd just shifted slightly by accident whilst drinking. Yes, that seemed reasonable.....

'.........'

"Oh, really...?" Phoenix tried to fight off his emotions, but his new shade of 'blush' kept on illuminating his cheeks. Edgeworth smelt faintly of that same cologne he always wore. It was a familiar smell and Phoenix didn't mind it. It smelt like... Well, Phoenix didn't really know. He was no expert in these things, after all. What he did know about cologne was that, in 1954, a law was passed in the small town of X (situated in Generic Island) which meant that cologne was not to be imported into that particular town from abroad-
"Never mind that, though."
"Uh-ah, so why AM I here again...?"
"Take another sip of your wine?" Edgeworth gave a warm smile to Phoenix, embarrassing him into briskly nodding and hastily gulping down the rest of the sour stuff, leaving the glass empty. As he brought it away from his lips, Edgeworth instantly leapt into action again;
"I'll refill it for you," He reached out, his voice having a softer, airier tone to it.
"No, no, honestly I'm fine..." Phoenix really didn't want another glass of the stuff. He felt like he was going to throw up. Becoming drunk in front of Edgeworth would be humiliating. Not to mention that it didn't take much alcohol to get him to be drunk!
"Aww, come on, don't be shy. I don't mind! I bought this bottle specially for you, anyway." What Phoenix didn't notice was the fact that Edgeworth had cleverly worded his sentence to guilt-trip him into having another glass. And the result was... He'd fallen straight into his 'trap'.
"A-alright then..." Phoenix unwillingly held out his glass and Edgeworth swiftly poured him another full glass in the same skilful manner as before.
"Th-thank you..." He noted that, despite finishing his own glass, Edgeworth hadn't refilled his glass.

'He still hasn't told me why I'm here... It would be rude to ask again. Perhaps I should try to make idle conversation? Or maybe I should drink some more wine.. It'd be a waste of his money if I didn't drink it..'

"U-um.. So.." Adrenaline coursed through Phoenix's body at an alarming rate as he became more tense.
"Did I mention that you look absolutely astonishing?"
"W-wha..." Phoenix's mouth gaped open in a little 'o' as he stared with bulging eyes at the prosecutor, instantly turning a bright red even though he'd only just recovered from his previous blush. He almost dropped the glass of wine which was still clasped loosely in his right palm, making his whole hand numb with how chillingly cold it was; not that that mattered anymore anyway, since he felt like the rest of him was going numb with what Edgeworth had just said. Edgeworth couldn't help but let out a small giggle under his breath. He had an amused expression on his face.
"You look beautiful," He softly continued, still smiling welcomingly.

He was now 2 centimetres away from Phoenix.

"I-I..." Phoenix couldn't quite form a sentence. His thoughts were all jumbled.

'No... No way... This is a dream, isn't it...?! Phoenix, stop having such dirty dreams! If you really want him to love you THAT muc-'

That's when Phoenix registered that it wasn't a dream. Edgeworth's hand lightly holding his was real, for sure. He could feel it. He could feel every single detail, every outline that was etched on his skin. And the warmth... The pleasureful warmth his hand gave Phoenix's numb, cold one. The fact that Edgeworth had closed the gap between them so that their legs were now touching and that Edgeworth had, with no real force, lifted Phoenix's hand onto his thigh and was caressing it lovingly. Phoenix's wrists began to ache. It was a strange condition he had, that when he was extremely embarrassed his wrists would go limp along with his thudding heart and 'light up cheeks'. His lips were suddenly dry all over again and he felt like he wanted a drink.

No, he needed one.

But the only drink there was was alcohol... He stared at it longingly, trying not to think about what Edgeworth had said and what he was doing.
"I d-don't kn-know what you m-mean." Phoenix held his breath, trying to hold up the inevitable. He saw Edgeworth eyeing him up and quickly took a sip of the wine to avoid his gaze, feeling his eyes on him the whole time. He instantly put the glass firmly back down on the table realising, to his own horror, that the little 'sip' he thought he'd taken had turned out to be more of a 'gigantic, greedy gulp', as he'd finished the glass. He froze, staring in dismay at it as his mind started to becoming fuzzy, not allowing him to think straight anymore.
"Oh, come now, you're an attorney... And an extremely clever one, at that." Edgeworth smirked cheekily, leaning forward slightly so that his warm breath was creeping down Phoenix's neck. Phoenix's emotions were also becoming muddled along with the rest of him that the alcohol was messing up.
"Gnn..." Phoenix groaned, trying to fight off the alcohol - to no avail. Edgeworth raised an eyebrow as he looked at him, his lips turning into a pleasureful smile as he realised his plan had worked.
"How many fingers am I holding up, Phoenix?" Edgeworth used his free hand (the one not stroking Phoenix's) to hold up 4 fingers and waved them in front of Phoenix's eyes.
"U-uhhh..." Phoenix paused for a minute, probably because his head was pounding uncontrollably;
"Purple...?" He mumbled half-heartedly, now completely succumbed to the alcohol. Edgeworth stifled a laugh and proceeded to hug Phoenix. Ordinary Phoenix would have stiffened up, but drunk Phoenix didn't resist in the slightest.

That was the difference between drunk Phoenix and ordinary Phoenix.

Ordinary Phoenix was afraid to show his emotions, but drunk Phoenix wasn't. However, Edgeworth still preferred ordinary Phoenix. Why? Ordinary Phoenix was so much cuter and... More natural. Cleverer. More beautiful. So why did Edgeworth deliberately make him drunk?

He wanted to know how Phoenix truly felt about him when he confessed his love and took things from there.