Our Secret Hideaway.

"Phoenix?"
"Mm..?" Phoenix whipped his head around to face Edgeworth, who was equipped with his usual attire - his leather school backpack and crimson jumper, with light grey shorts (which complimented his shimmering hair perfectly) and his ordinary jet black shoes.
"Are you ok?"
"H-huh...?" Phoenix furrowed his brow and stopped his sluggish limping towards the school gate to face Edgeworth, ignoring the large crowds of students walking past with their parents on their way home.
"I saw you earlier..."
"Wha...."
"When that guy ganged up on you with his friends." Edgeworth folded his arms, his brow creased in a concerned manner;
"...... You saw that?"
"Yes."
"I-I'm fine, honest." Phoenix felt suddenly defensive-

No, not defensive, worried.

He didn't want Edgeworth to feel bad on his behalf.
"Hm. They didn't hurt you, did they...?"
"O-of course not!" Phoenix protested;
"Are you sure about that? You can confide in me, Phoenix-"
"I'm sure! Th-this is a primary school, Edgeworth..."
"That doesn't change the fact that there is a possibility that there could be bullies here..." Edgeworth's hand had somehow made its way onto Phoenix's shoulder without him realising.
"You're always worrying, Edgeworth... I'm fine, I swear."
"On the Steel Samurai?" Phoenix sighed with a widespread smile across his face;
"I swear on the Steel Samurai." Edgeworth paused a moment before finally closing his eyes with relief;
"Good."

Suddenly the scene changed, the image of Phoenix and Edgeworth in the school warping into a different fragment of an image. This time, it was set in a smaller, much much quieter area situated on a sheltered (by willow trees) cliff-edge which sat beside a mighty waterfall - which occasionally sprayed the edges with its see-through liquid. The whole place was bathed in a golden light which filtered through the trees.

Edgeworth was grasping Phoenix's hand tightly and eagerly leading him through the trees, weaving in and out at an extraordinary pace until they arrived at the small cliff-edge.
"Aah!! Edgeworth!!" Phoenix chuckled with delight and joy as he was thrust forwards with every step. He found it hard to keep up when he had his school back-pack on. Edgeworth let go reluctantly once they arrived and Phoenix panted like a dog for a few seconds as he took in the admirable view, taking in deep breaths of fresh oxygen. Edgeworth cocked his head slightly, smiling as he watched his best friend regain his composure with his hands on his hips.
"Woah..." When Phoenix had finally finished being out of breath, he managed to mumble one word.
"Well? What do you think...?" Edgeworth beamed. He knew Phoenix would love this place. He just knew it.
"Edgeworth... It's amazing! I love it.." Phoenix chuckled, his hazel-brown eyes lit up with excitement and glinting under the sunlight which was beating on their backs, providing a glowing array of warmth.
"I knew you'd like it." Edgeworth stepped towards Phoenix;
"How'd you find it?" This was great. It was working out just how Edgeworth had planned. Phoenix was fascinated.
"Well, I was walking home from school one day and it caught my eye - a small alleyway in between rows of houses."
"How strange... This is a city. How could there be a waterfall here?"
"I don't know... But no one else knows about this place."
"No one...?"
"No one." Edgeworth smiled and clutched the palm of the hand that he'd gripped Phoenix's in tightly;
"Except you, of course." Phoenix warmly smiled back at that. He felt a slight jittering in his heart. Edgeworth made him feel special.
"Huh. Larry would've loved this.." Phoenix laughed;
"Mmph... But who cares about Larry?" Edgeworth hastily dismissed the third member of their little 'squad'.
"What?" Phoenix's expression turned from happy to serious in an instant; "What do you mean?"
"Oh, I didn't mean I didn't want to be friends with him!" Edgeworth instantly snapped.
"Did something happen between you two...?"
"No, of course not! I just meant that I didn't feel like showing anyone else this place. Only you."
"O-oh..." Phoenix's smile instantly came back as quickly as it had faded away.
"I wanted this to be our special place. You and me. Edgeworth and Phoenix."
"Heh.." Phoenix felt himself beginning to flush a light pink, but the continuous spraying of water brought him back to his senses and cooled him down.

Silence suddenly infected the both of them and only the gushing water could be heard in the background.

They both looked like they wanted to say something, as if there was some sort of secret longing hanging behind their lips. But, clearly, neither of them said what they intended to.

The image was changing again, this time sending Phoenix and Edgeworth at least 15 years into the future, so that Phoenix was now sitting on a bench in the pelting rain - alone. The skies were grey and dismal, like Phoenix's gloomy mood.

Phoenix stared out into the distance and sighed as, occasionally, a few drops of rain would slide down his neck and into his suit - which was now sopping wet.

'I should have brought an umbrella..'

He'd probably catch hypothermia, but that didn't matter too much to Phoenix anymore. There wasn't much left to do with his pointless life, anyway. Edgeworth was..... Edgeworth was.............

'...'

Phoenix clenched his teeth, a few tears rolling down his cheeks to join the infinite raindrops. He'd been trying all week to not let it show that he didn't want to have to let Edgeworth go. He'd done a darn good job. He'd managed to conceal his emotions very well from others. He'd kept his crying and complaining for when he was alone.

When he was alone it all came out.

The rage, the sorrow, the bitter fear... The lust. The sheer agony. He'd lost his friend. His best friend. Everyone around him had been deeply distraught and hurt by the suicide note, Phoenix knew. But no one would ever be as hurt and distraught as he was. Phoenix had lost the one person who understood him. The one person who he trusted. The one person who he...

The one person who he loved.

'.... So you finally admitted it, Phoenix Wright.'

Phoenix bit his lip and suddenly rose from the seat, drenched from head to toe in the salty tears of the sky. His suit was sticking to him. Funnily enough, he was on that same cliff edge. Phoenix choked on some of the rain-water and stared at all the wilting trees and the bench-infested grass. This place had been found out. It was no longer the 'secret hideaway' from their childhood fantasies. There was an ugly dam in place of the, once awe-inspiring, waterfall and most of the trees had been chopped down, the rest left wilting and awaiting their last day before they were released from life. He stepped towards the edge of the cliff. No one would miss him. The one person that might have missed him was.......

Gone.

He'd never had the guts or chance to tell Edgeworth how he'd felt, and now his time had run out.

What a waste.

He took a deep, shaky breath;
"I love you, Edgeworth..." He mumbled under his breath, wiping away the mixture of tears and rain blurring his vision. He wanted to see how long he had left before he fell to his doom, after all. With that, Phoenix shut his eyes tightly and felt the ground disappear, a faint whooshing sound passing by his ears as the rain continued to lash his face.

Little had he known that Edgeworth had been there the whole time. If Edgeworth had rushed out any slower... Perhaps he couldn't have stopped this calamity.

Phoenix cried out as he felt his whole body being yanked upwards.

"PHOENIX!!!!!!!" Phoenix instantly craned his neck to see that Edgeworth was gripping his hand tightly and stopping him from falling.
"EDGEWORTH."

'Now what are you going to do about it?'