Chapter Two - The Business Man

Chapter Two

                                                                           The Business Man

I WASN'T HAPPY. NOT AT ALL.

I stood in the living room with my arms crossed firmly across my chest, my lips mashed together in a fine line as my brows pushed together furiously. Matthew walked by me, sighing in frustration at my stubbornness. He carried his suitcase out to his car before returning to grab my suitcase, not saying a single word because it'd only spark another argument. I knew it was a losing battle, but I honestly didn't care; I was determined to win.

"I just don't understand why I have to go to your place when you're going to be having guests and meetings every single night for a week. It doesn't make sense for me to stay there when you'd barely see me," I argued for the sixth time this hour.

Matthew sighed once more and set my suitcase down; a suitcase of my clothes he packed himself. "Does it mean nothing that I want you at home with me? I already spent five weeks away, and I've only gotten to see you for five nights. Also people will wonder why my own wife isn't staying at home."

He was right. I knew he was right. But I also wanted to stay here, at my own house, and spend my nights training with Gavin and part of my days laying out in the sun. I've missed the sun, to be honest. When I stay with Matthew my schedule becomes flipped around and I never see the sun because usually the curtains are closed and we're crawling into bed to sleep. I'm pretty sure I've developed a vitamin D deficiency.

Although Matthew was strong in his stance, his expression softened and he put on his usual calm demeanor when he deals with me. "You can still train down in the basement, if you want? And I did buy a gaming system of some sort for entertainment."

My lips twitched at the memory of Matthew buying me the newest gaming system for Christmas last month. We had had an argument, much like this one, in which I claimed his house was boring and I believe I said "A funeral is more exciting than this place." It was after Matthew had been spending many weeks in meetings and I literally had nothing to do. I asked Matthew if I could hit the city, but he thought it wasn't a good idea for me to go to one of the most dangerous cities in the U.S. on my own married to someone receiving death threats on a daily basis. Also, it was close to Christmas and people get mugged at every corner, especially those who drive up in a car that costs more than most homes. We argued, I called it a hostage situation because I was so bored and not allowed to do anything about it. After sleeping in the guest bedroom for two nights out of spite, Matthew, as always, played the mature role and made compromises. I could go to the city but I had to take someone with me in certain parts as well as avoid other parts of the city, including parts I used to live in because they were known as the most dangerous areas. We also came to the agreement that I could go anywhere I wanted during the day, without an escort, but that happens less often because I'm usually asleep during that time. Our final agreement was for Matthew to add some forms of entertainment other than books and a television with few channels. On Christmas day, I opened the newest game system along with many games, and I may have even hugged Matthew for the gift because it did touch me.

The game system was also entertaining because of Matthew's lack-of-knowledge when it comes to most electronics. I had no idea he was so technologically challenged. You would think for being around nearly a thousand years he would keep up with the trends. But Matthew honestly had no idea how to even hold a controller, let alone move his character to snipe people. So Matthew normally reads or is in business meetings while I play videogames. It was a unique relationship.