Chapter Nineteen - Plan B or Something

Chapter Nineteen

Plan B or Something

I KNEW I HAD SCREWED UP.

Sleeping with Matthew was a major mistake and something I knew I wouldn't forgive myself for a while. After everything he had done, I slept with him. I would say it was one of the worst things I could have ever done, but I've pulled a lot of stunts in my time and sleeping with my husband just wasn't the worst.

After declaring the red sports car as a goner, Matthew helped me pack up my stuff and we both headed back to Chicago in Matthew's car. The ride had been mostly quiet, though I could see Matthew was far more relaxed than he had been when he had showed up at the hotel. In fact, he seemed happy. He had tried holding my hand several times during the ride, but I pretended not to notice and instead kept my hands in my lap.

It proved almost impossible to avoid Matthew at home. For a few weeks he followed me around like a lost puppy. It was almost tragic. I wanted to be annoyed and snap at him for not allowing me to be alone, but he was doing it not because he was concerned I was up to something or might run off, but rather because he genuinely missed me. If it weren't for bathroom locks, I didn't doubt he would have walked in on me during the times when I locked myself in for a moment's peace.

It came at a great relief when Matthew's friends began showing up a week early for the ball. They were a welcomed distraction for Matthew and gave me a moment's peace to be able to figure out a plan.

Nearly a month and still no plan.

Lacey and Beth were the first to arrive. It was difficult, especially being around Beth, the shallowest and most self-centered woman alive. But Lacey came with Beth, so seeing her at least eased the tension.

I first met Lacey about the same time I first met Matthew. Lacey has always worked for Beth, partly because Beth turned Lacey and forced her to be her permanent beauty guru for all of eternity. While it kills me to know Lacey has been a slave to Beth for over a decade, I knew there was nothing I could do. And during our bonding whenever I was being held captive by Matthew, Lacey became somewhat of a friend to me. She hated vampires even though she was one, and she hated Matthew. Even though we connected on our mutual hate, it was impossible to become friends with her whenever she was so close to their world. Above anything, she still kept her loyalty to them.

I didn't get to speak to Lacey too much. She kept her distance. After marrying Matthew, Lacey hasn't wanted to spend too much time with me. Whether it's because she thinks I've changed or because she hates Matthew, I wasn't sure, but marrying Matthew definitely didn't strengthen our friendship.

It was a greater relief when Nicholas arrived a day after Lacey and Beth. Nicholas has always been a close friend to me because he always seems to see the good in everyone, including Matthew. Nicholas was like a father, in a way. He often watched over Matthew and me, though he was younger than Matthew in vampire years.

"Joanna," Nicholas greeted with warm chocolatey eyes and open arms.

I wasn't one for hugging, but Nicholas was an exception. "It's been a while," I stated as I wrapped my arms awkwardly around him.

"I'm afraid it has been a busy year." Nicholas pulled away from the hug to look at me. "I am so sorry to hear about your father. True tragedy."

"I thought she was an orphan," Beth muttered loud enough for the entire room to hear.

All Matthew had to really do was look at Beth. "Do you mind repeating that a little louder for me to hear? I didn't quite catch that," Matthew said to her with narrowed eyes.