Chapter Four - Fist of Fury

Chapter Four

                                                                                  Fist of Fury

MATTHEW AND I DIDN'T TALK FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

Everyone could sense the tension between us. Well, by tension between us I actually mean the tension coming from me. Matthew wanted to talk, multiple times, in fact. But I wasn't wanting to hear any of it. Nothing could ever justify killing anyone. Nevertheless, Matthew continued to reach out to me in hopes of us reconciling and at least being able to be in the same room without tension. It has been difficult for me to even look in his direction because I could see those bodies and the open, dead eyes of those young women.

I've been sleeping in the guest room next to our bedroom for the past week, which hasn't helped much on trying to get past this. Matthew has been so desperate to earn whatever trust I had had before back; he didn't fight me on my decision to stay in another room. However, it didn't stop him from coming to my room every hour to try to talk to me. At one point, stopped sending food—food was something the maids always brought me upon Matthew's request—in hopes of me leaving my room and facing him. Little did Matthew know, I had packed my suitcase full of beef jerky and potato chips before I left my house because I knew he'd try to feed me healthy things here. After day 24-hours of no food being sent to me, Matthew had a tray of food sent to me, probably thinking I was nearly dead without it.

Liam had stayed the entire awkward week. I didn't see him often, but he spent most of his time with Matthew, no doubt talking about me. While I was glad Matthew had someone else to talk to rather than spend it knocking on my door, I was filled with a bit of loneliness because I didn't have anyone else. I wasn't usually one to sit down with someone and talk about my feeling or to just talk about life, but, for some reason, I just wanted to talk to someone. As much as I don't want to admit it, I think Matthew has had that influence on me. He always wants to talk things out, even when he's the one upset. But I didn't want to speak to him, and I literally had no friends other than him, which completely sucks.

Part of it is my own fault because I lack any social skills and tend to hate most people I talk to. However, the other part is Matthew's fault because I can't make friends with my own kind in case his secret is slipped out. If I let "vampire" slip out of my mouth, there'd be consequences. But making friends with vampires was out of the question when all of them know and worship Matthew as if he were a god. No one would listen to me, and no one would take my side. I had once thought Matthew's friend Beth's personal stylist, Lacey, would be a great friend, but I realized her fear of Matthew and of Beth meant the friendship wouldn't reach any further. Also, Beth wasn't a fan of my friendship with Lacey, leading to Lacey rarely coming around. And while Nicholas, Matthew's closest friend, has always been an open ear and a reasonable speaker, he is Matthew's best friend.

I pushed the loneliness aside by using Buddy as my support. He'd even lay in bed beside me where Matthew usually slept just so I'd have someone there.

Matthew left for yet another business trip one week after our fight, and I refused to say anything. Deep down, it actually bothered me to not say goodbye. To my surprise, Liam didn't leave when Matthew had, but instead stayed behind.

The night after Matthew had left, I finally left my room and roamed the house. I would have gone back to my house if I was given the keys to my car back. Matthew never actually said I was banned from driving after my reckless driving last week, but he also never informed me where my keys were. I think he would have, if I had spoken to him. Maybe that's why he didn't tell me where the keys were? He just wanted me to talk to him. It may be why he didn't tell me where they were before he left.