Chapter Eleven - Disappear

Chapter Eleven

                                                                                 Disappear

SHANA WAS MORE THAN PLEASED WITH MY RESPONSE.

I guess those were the words she had hoped for years ago. Her ruby lips pulled into a large smile and she nodded, tapping her long nails across the table. It surprised me at how calm I remained throughout all of this. There wasn't even hesitation for me. I knew exactly what I wanted to do, and I knew what all I was willing to do to make it happen.

"Before I waste my time by taking the spell off you, have you thought of what you might lose if Matthew learns what you're up to?" Shana asked, completely business now.

I did. "Yes."

Her eyes were narrowed as she leaned closer, attempting to scare me, I'm sure. "And you're willing to lose it? Just like that? Because he will take it all from you. Everything."

I didn't falter. "I have one thing he can take from me. And if he does take it..." I thought about losing Cindy for a moment, and while it pained me to think of anything happening to my baby sister, I knew I couldn't allow it to stop me. "If he takes it from me, I will end him."

Shana was so pleased by this, she almost clapped her hands together. It was almost as if she were interviewing me for a job, and somehow I was passing with flying colors. "So you're willing to lose everything?"

With squared shoulders and narrowed eyes, I nodded. "I'm willing to die."

Her smile faltered and, for a moment, I thought she was showing concern. "Coming from anyone else, that would be quite the sign of devotion. But you, however..." She shook her head. "I think you've been inviting death for many years, Joanna. You're not even phased by it."

I opened my mouth to argue, but I couldn't think of how. She was right, I suppose. The night when I died in a car accident, I wasn't afraid. Right before the impact, when most would have their life flash before their eyes or cry about their loved ones, I was completely calm and ready. I've always been ready, and whether that sounds like a case of depression, I'm not sure. But death has never been something I've feared.

"It doesn't matter. You being willing to die is an advantage. Although I am fairly certain Matthew would never be the cause of your death. Undoubtedly you'd be the cause of your own death." Shana gave a shrug when I shot her a glare. "It's true. You don't seem like the cautious type."

"Are we going to do this damn spell or what?" I demanded, too exhausted for another speech.

She shook her head at my impatience and opened her bag. "I can't remove the spell—"

"What? Why in the hell are you wasting my—"

She raised a finger to silence me. "If you let me finish, please." Her eyes focused on me until I closed my mouth. "I can't remove the spell because the second I do, Matthew will know and he will come after us both. However, I can transfer it."

My eyes widened. "Transfer it? What if you transfer it to another person? Matthew will know something is wrong if I'm standing beside him and he feels I'm at a gas station or something." I was snappy, impatient. Blame it on no sleep, but I was about finished with dealing with all of this for the day.

Shana let out an exasperated sigh. "I swear, you are the most annoying woman..." She rubbed her temples as if she had a severe headache. "I can transfer the spell into an object; something you can carry on you when you're around him and something you can leave on a table while you're off destroying things."