Dwarven Wisdom

They climbed the carven stone steps that wound their way up through the underground citadel. They at last reached an upper room where a balcony opened up out over the town below. All manner of maps and plans were displayed across the walls and tables. A small forge and a small workbench were located at one side of the hall-like room. Gimli pulled out some chairs from various tables and set them around the largest one. Yet still a few had to stand.

"I apologize for the lack of seating," Gimli frowned slightly. "Had I known you all were coming along with Lord Elden, I would've made arrangements."

"Nonsense, Gimli," Eldarion laughed. "It is fine."

With a nod Gimli continued. "Now. I know why you are here, Lord Elden. I have drawn up plans already for the new town walls you have requested. Shall we start with that?"

Elden shook his head with a smile, standing. "I have a feeling that the more important matters lie with my Prince and his company. If there is somewhere I may wait, I shall let them speak first."

The dwarf lord nodded. "Of course. Frorin should be outside. He can show you to a room."

With a bow, Elden bid them farewell and left the room. Gimli turned back to the others.

"It is good to see you," he nodded with a strained smile. "Yet I think I can guess somewhat the purpose of this visit. For I was here when the news of Lady Tinneth's disappearance arrived."

Eldarion sighed but affirmed his suspicions. "Indeed. One part of our quest involves my cousin."

"Aragorn is sending you North then?" Gimli looked at them in surprise. "All of yeh?"

Again, Eldarion nodded. "This quest is dangerous. My father used the Palantír of Minas Tirith to gaze North. He suspects that there is evil growing swiftly in the North and he is sending us to investigate."

"Could he not just ask the Wardens of Annuminas. After all, don't they have the other surviving Palantír?" Gimli looked somewhat confused.

Aderthon frowned and answered. "Unfortunately, some years ago the Palantír of Annuminas was stolen by a man cloaked in black. He overpowered the guards with sorcery and took it into Angmar. In fact, Tinneth's last visit South was to relay that information."

Gimli pursed his lips. "Well now. That's unfortunate. So communication North and South is crippled. That is bad."

They all frowned and nodded. It was bad. It was difficult enough ruling a two part kingdom, but it was also at least a two month journey between the two lands.

"So. Why do you need my help?" Gimli asked them. "Why did Aragorn send you to me?"

"We are hoping to travel... under the mountains." Círeth explained.

Gimli shut his eyes in painful memory but he nodded and looked at them. "Moria is still a dark place, children. It will be dangerous."

"But Lord Gimli, aren't the dwarves there, recolonizing it?" Barahir asked in concern.

"Lord Barahir, correct? Son of Eowyn and Faramir?" Gimli looked at him in scrutiny. "Aye, they are. They've taken the Twenty-First Hall and many of the upper levels. But there are still thousands of goblins in the deeps."

"At least the Balrog is no more," Aderthon pointed out.

"True." The dwarf nodded. "But neither is Rivendell. There will be no waiting, no healing until you reach as far North and West as your destination."

"If it were not already Fall, we could perhaps take the High Pass," Eldarion mused, pacing back and forth. "Yet the Beornings are not as friendly towards strangers as they were in Grimbeorn's day, according to my father and uncles. Also the winds and the storms will be heavy that high in the mountains."