The Golden Wood

Eldarion finished restitching Fëalas' wound a few minutes later. She was breathing heavily from the pain of the needle and thread that he pulled through her sensitive skin.

"Well that should keep me alive for now," she said, forcing a fake smile as she saw Eldarion's depressed expression.

He chuckled humorlessly once. It was more of a snort. Her face fell as she looked away from where he was wiping the blood off her leg with a wet cloth.

Elboron looked at her forlorn face sadly. She was a sweetheart. She didn't deserve this fate. She didn't deserve to live with the knowledge that any day she could begin going insane. She could start hallucinating, be overcome with paranoia.

Eldarion left them there as he returned his supplies to his horse. Elboron made eye contact with her.

"I do not want your pity," she said fiercely.

He looked at her in surprise. "I said nothing!"

"Your eyes said everything," she huffed, pulling herself into a sitting position, leaving her injured leg still stretched out in front of her.

Elboron gave a quiet laugh. "I did not realize you were so observant. Very well. I will not pity you."

That sat in silence for a moment. Eldarion was still trying to pack everything up.

"I have lived a good life," Fëalas sniffed. "I wish only to see Tinneth again before I die."

"You are not dead yet!" Elboron protested immediately, sitting beside her. "Do not speak like that, Fëalas!"

She gave a half smile at him before looking away. Eldarion came striding back and looked at them.

"Am I interrupting something?" He asked with a chuckle.

Fëalas shook her head. "No!"

"Let's get you to bed," Eldarion said quickly. "I'll carry you back over to the main fire."

Fëalas looked at him in irritation. "I cannot sleep. My mind is far afield. Let me keep watch with you, if you will."

Elboron and Eldarion exchanged skeptic looks. She was injured; she needed as much sleep as possible to heal. Yet they understood her request. Who knew how much time she would have left to live?

Sighing, Eldarion conceded. "Very well."

They fell into a comfortable silence. Eldarion went over to the horses to check they were all still in place. Elboron and Fëalas watched the sky and the horizon as the Sun began to rise. Their prince soon joined them, sitting on the other side of Fëalas.

"Beautiful." She smiled as the Sun cast its golden rays across the grass.

Soon they woke the others. After a quick breakfast of berries and bread, they mounted their horses. Fëalas ended up riding with Elboron.

"Is this pity?" She smirked at him when he offered.

Elboron laughed. "No. Practicality. My horse has the least baggage. And your sister seems to be sneezing a lot."

She chuckled and accepted his hand, blushing. He chuckled to himself.

She certainly is a funny one, he thought.

Fëalas couldn't help but be excited to ride with the man she was in love with. Thought she knew he did not return her affections, it was thrilling. She rode in front of him, gripping the saddle horn.

By afternoon, they beheld the sight they were all waiting for: a treeline. Lorien was within a few hours' ride. They pushed their horses a little faster, eager to reach the safety of the trees. For though the elves had left and gone to Southern Mirkwood, the fellowship hoped to find solace within the ancient wood.

Suddenly, Fëalas began to sing lightly and quietly, as if to herself.

"In Lorien, the bright lady dwelt. White her belt, and bright her hair. The Western light shone in her gaze, and her hidden ways were fair. Galadriel, Galadriel, now over the sea you have gone. Galadriel, Galadriel, we mourn our loss with song."

"A pretty tune," Elboron said, his voice a rumble as he spoke quietly. "You make it up yourself?"

"Father used to sing it while Mother played the lyre," Fëalas smiled softly. "He and Elladan wrote it, and that is but a fraction of the whole song."

Aderthon, riding but a little ways ahead dropped back. He looked at his sister first in concern and then with affection.

"You know, I always said you sound like mother. Your voice is truly beautiful, Fëalas. Fit for a tune such as that." He laughed lightly as his sister made a face.

Slowly but surely they drew closer to the trees. Within a few hours, they reached the first few. The flowing Anduin river was several miles or so to their right as they crossed beneath the trees.

"Look at the leaves," breathed Fëalas as she leaned forward on the horse.

Both the leaves on the ground and those in the trees were golden, shining when the sunlight of late afternoon touched them. The company was whispering to each other, all overcome by amazement at the beauty.

"Welcome to Lothlorien," Eldarion said quietly to himself.

"What a welcome," agreed Aderthon.

Everyone was in a better mood as they journeyed forward. All of a sudden their troubles didn't seem so bad. Elven magic still lingered here, despite the fact that those folk had abandoned Lorien many years before.

In an hour, they suddenly reached the bank of a river. It was swiftly moving, but they reckoned there was no need to cross it just yet.

"No doubt this is the River Celebrant," Eldarion said. "We should head West along it. We will hit the Nimrodel and cross there."

"Come on, Carroch," nudged Aderthon. "Let's get moving again."

They journey through the Golden Wood until they could barely see from the dark of night. Eldarion called a halt when they reached the Nimrodel and Celebrant merging.

"We'll rest here tonight," Eldarion said.

Círeth got off her horse and looked up into the trees. She saw something that didn't seem quite right.

"Wait here," she said and motioned for them to stay put.

Putting her hands to a low branch, she hauled herself into the tree. Carefully she climbed up until she was no longer easily visible other than her bright red hair. A triumphant sound floated down as she found what she was looking for. All of a sudden, a rope ladder came flying down, unraveling so they could climb up.

Aderthon was the first to clamber up. He scurried up the ladder like a squirrel and grinned when he reached the flet at the top.

"This must be how the Galadhrim kept watch," he nodded. "Father called them flets I think."

The others took turns climbing up and looking around the Mallorn tree. In the end, Aderthon, Finduilas, Elboron, and Eldarion decided to sleep there and take turns keeping watch while the others slept on the ground to watch the horses.

Círeth went out with her bow and brought back no meat, but plenty of edible, delicious nuts and berries to restock their food bag. By the time it was fully dark, all were ready to sleep.