Conversation by Moonlight

A/N: First week of classes is almost over! Yay!

Now - Eregion

Elfwine was up one night on their journey along the Mitheithel, his thoughts far away among the green fields of Rohan. He wished he was there, with his mother and his father. But at the same time, he was glad he had been given permission to travel with his cousins and friends. Guthwinë lay next to him in the grass. Elfwine placed his hand on its worn scabbard and pulled it closer.

He looked across from him and saw Aderthon and Edeva sitting guard. Elfwine had noticed the two of them becoming close over the weeks. Often if Aderthon was not alongside Eldarion and Elboron, he was walking with Edeva. Part of him was glad; he wanted his sister to be happy. But he was also wary. For all the complaining about his sister he did, Elfwine loved her and her company. He didn't want things to change much.

"What's it like?" Aderthon asked her. "Being a Royal Guardsman, I mean."

Edeva shrugged as she leaned against an old ruined brick wall. "I'm only in training right now. But I enjoy it."

"Do the men respect you?" He looked at her curiously. "It took my sisters and your cousin Finduilas a long time to gain respect in Gondor's army."

Edeva sighed and downcast her eyes. "Many still resist my existence. After all, Elfwine is the heralded and beloved prince. I am but the elder sister."

Aderthon nodded. Quickly Edeva amended her statement.

"I do not mind, though," she insisted. "I have no desire to be Queen, to rule Rohan. Besides, my brother is more suited to that role. He has a good mind for diplomacy. I just hit things."

"You perform a very special role," Aderthon protested. "You are protecting someone you hold dear: your brother and future king. King Éomer will not live forever."

"Do not say such things," she said quietly as she downcast her eyes and looked away.

"It is a truth that Men must come to accept, I have found." He frowned. "I have seen my mother lose a close friend to old age already, Councilwoman Althea of the North."

There was silence for awhile. The few trees that had found to camp near, inside the old ruins of an ancient outpost, trembled in the gentle wind. The fire before them crackled with heat as it warmed them. It was getting colder each day they journeyed northward. The fire staved off the chill.

Shadows danced around them as the moon cast its light down to the earth. Elfwine still watched as Edeva and Aderthon sat together, but soon he was drifting off the sleep, clutching his precious Guthwinë. On the edge of consciousness, he heard like a deep echo, the voice of Aderthon as he sang an ancient hymn of the elves.

"Snow White, snow white, oh lady clear.

Oh queen beyond the western sea.

Oh light to us that wander here

Amid the world of woven trees.

Gilthoniel! Oh Elbereth!

Clear are thy eyes and bright they breath!

Snow white, snow white, we sing to thee!

Thy starlight on the western sea."

In the morning, the sun dawned bright and early, driving away the dew that lay upon the thickets and leaves. Eldarion told them to ready quickly as he hoped to gain a great distance today. Fëalas was growing worse by the day, by the hour.

"Don't come any closer," she screamed as Aderthon tried to help her into the cart.

Everyone stopped what they were doing and stared. Aderthon sighed but let go of her and she climbed in herself. These days she always had her knife at the ready. She only agreed to climb into the cart because it offered a good vantage point and no one could come near her.

I didn't get my fair share of food today, she realized (in error). They're trying to starve me. They won't succeed!'

Thoughts like these were becoming quite regular for Fëalas. She was often convinced that Finduilas was trying to kill her, that Círeth had it out for the whole group and had poisoned the food, or that Eldarion was leading them to their deaths.

She hated the journey everyday, as they carted her along beside the River Greyflood. She was sure they would dump her in while she slept.

Joke's on them, she laughed to herself. I just won't fall asleep!

The others grew weary of her constant whispering and hissing to herself. Aderthon especially was growing disheartened by the day. One of his sisters was dying, another had probably betrayed them all. Only Círeth was still right in the head. They needed to reach Imladris as soon as possible.

Steadily the territory changed. The geography sloped upwards and downwards, but not drastically. More and more trees popped up and the grass grew greener, much greener than it had in Eregion. Flowers, too, began to appear as well as water reeds on the banks of the Mitheithel.

Days passed. A month and a half had passed since they left Rohan. But the days were growing short.

Now - Gondor

"Sire," called a servant girl who came running to catch up with the King and his brothers in law.

Aragorn turned around. "Morlas, correct? What is wrong?"

"Sire, the Palantír. It is glowing sir!"

Aragorn looked at his brothers and they all immediately took off in the direction of the Tower that held the Palantír. The guards at the door were very concerned and nodded in relief when they saw the king and his companions.

Together they went in, shutting the door behind them. Aragorn looked in concern at the glowing sphere. Only a Palantír that was being contacted by another glowed like that.

Aragorn walked forward slowly. He placed his hand upon the stone and saw him.

"Greetings, king of the Reunited Kingdom. I am the Red Hand, your doom." Halion said this with a smile. "We will take back the North."

"We?" asked Aragorn in dread.

Tinneth stepped into view. Her black outfit was accented only by red gemstones and a black and red circlet upon her head. Her silver hair was braided and pleated with red and onyx and leather. She smiled.

"Hello, uncle."