Leaving Civilization

A/N: Chapter 20!

Barahir woke up first. He stretched his arms as he sat up, trying to wake himself up more. Next to him was Elboron and he noted that his brother was beginning to stir as well. The sun was peeping over the horizon, sending its golden rays across the sky.

"We should leave soon," Barahir whispered to his brother. "Though I know none of us are excited about it. We need to begin heading North."

Elboron nodded, rubbing his eyes. "You are right."

He turned to wake his friend, but found that Aderthon was not where he'd been before, on his left.

Odd, he thought to himself.

Looking around, Elboron caught sight of the man sitting on one of the large boulder. His back was to the company and his body language told he was deep in thought.

"Eldarion," Barahir coaxed gently, placing a hand on their leader's arm.

Eldarion shot up and blinked in the light. He shaded his vision and relaxed. Barahir smiled sadly and shrugged towards the East.

"Sun's rising," Barahir said as he gently woke the others.

Eldarion nodded, rubbing his face. "We need to get moving."

Meanwhile, Elboron was watching the still silent Aderthon. Finally he went up to his friend and climbed the boulder until he was next to him.

"What's got you awake, my friend?" Elboron looked at him curiously.

Aderthon sighed. "I can think only of my missing sister."

Elboron nodded sadly and glanced behind him to where Finduilas was waking.

"I do not know what I would do in your situation, if Fin was missing." He sighed. "But we must cling to hope that she is alright."

Aderthon nodded quickly. "The Valar will protect her."

"Come on," Elboron said as he gently smiled. "Let's get packed up. We need to move soon."

It was Fëalas who voiced the question first soon enough.

"Where's Treebeard?" Fëalas glanced around and spun in a circle looking for the old ent.

They all stopped their packing and looked around. A few moments later they heard the tell tale sounds of entish walking.

"Good! You are awake." Treebeard smiled. "I have brought your horses to you."

Behind him, nine horses followed, coaxed forward by Quickbeam behind them.

"We herd trees," they heard Quickbeam say. "Not horses."

Fëalas giggled at that comment. They all smiled and Eldarion stepped forward with a bow.

"Thank you, Treebeard. We must depart, as I am sure you realize." He sighed but smiled. "Your hospitality was a welcome respite."

Treebeard nodded. "Of course, young ones. Do be careful, and not too hasty. Things may not be entirely as they seem."

The company mounted their horses with many thanks for the two ents. Through the trees they trotted, Quickbeam guiding them out of the Treegarth. Once they left it, he turned to them and smiled, bowing.

"It has been an honor, Men of the West."

They echoed his sentiment and smiled. As Quickbeam turned away, they began the steady trek north towards Moria. But first they hoped to reach the next forest.

As they rode, small groups began to form. Eldarion, Elboron, and Aderthon, ever the leaders, drove the company forward in the front. Behind them went Barahir with Finduilas and Edeva. In the rear were Fëalas and Cireth with Elfwine. They were busy trying to keep Elfwine from riding up and interrupting the leaders. For they seemed to be having a deep, important conversation.

"I mean, yes. She's pretty?" Elboron shrugged, blushing slightly. "Why?"

Aderthon smirked. "I knew it."

"I called it first," Eldarion protested to his friend.

Elboron glared. "So I fancy the sister of Bergil. What of it!"

"Lalaith is a pretty one, and a smart one too," Eldarion shook his head. "We would be happy for you!"

Elboron shook his head and smiled with a roll of his eyes. "Come now. We have more pressing matters to deal with."

"What of it? We should reach the borders of Lothlorien by evening tomorrow." Eldarion could barely control his excitement.

"It is a pity it has been abandoned for so long," Elboron sighed. "I should've liked to see it in its glory."

"Indeed. The elves left how many years ago?" Aderthon nodded. "Thirty or so?"

"Something like that." Eldarion nodded.

They fell into a deep silence. None had ever met Galadriel, nor Celeborn. They had never been to Lothlorien. Their parents had always promised to take them there, but the children sensed that it was too touchy a subject, and too sad a prospect, so they'd never gone. The only child of the heroes of the War of the Ring to even travel anywhere north was Tinneth, and she had never been one to care about "old ruins" as she'd put it.

"Still, my heart yearns to see Lothlorien, even though it is long since decayed from its glory." Eldarion frowned slightly.

The other two echoed his sentiments.

"Eldarion," Aderthon began sometime later. "Will we not have to abandon the horses come Moria?"

The other half-elf sighed with a nod. "Indeed. Yet I hope that Greymane will lead them back home, at least to Rohan. He has an uncanny sense of direction and is incredibly smart."

The two other nodded. He spoke truly. Yet it would take its toll on the company both physically and psychologically. Elfwine would be loath to part with his equine companion. Yet there was no way a horse could get through Moria.

"How much further shall we ride today?" asked Elboron as the Sun was sinking below the horizon.

Eldarion looked unsure. "I would prefer to find some cover."

"Unlikely," Aderthon told him with a shake of his head. "We haven't passed a single tree since we left the outskirts of Fangorn behind a few hours ago."

Eldarion sighed. He knew they were right. He threw up his hand, calling for a halt.

"We'll rest here tonight." He dismounted his horse and waited for the others to follow.

They did so. Immediately the fellowship began setting out their packs, and Círeth foraged around in the food bags for a simple supper she could pass around. It was unlikely there would be any animals to hunt here.

"Elfwine, Edeva. Take first watch," Eldarion directed after dinner. "Wake Elboron and Aderthon. After them will be myself and Círeth."

Everyone nodded. As the rest of the company lay down to rest, Elfwine and Edeva took up their spots. Elfwine was in charge of the horses, making sure they didn't wander off. Edeva made sure she was able to listen in for any threats nearby. They were a good team, thought Edeva would've preferred it if Eldarion had let her little brother sleep instead of guard.