Chapter 1- "I has bad dream"

October 2011

This summer had been a long one. We had a long summer compared to the season before that. I woke up like every normal day. Took my shower, and got ready for morning practice. I had my first games of the season that weekend and we did pretty good; won one and lost one. I walked down the hall, about to make me a little bit of breakfast, when I heard a knock on the door. “What the hell?” I said.

I pulled the door open to see a little blue eyed, pig tailed brown headed toddler, with a ballerina backpack and matching pink suitcases, with short, chubby women with glasses and her blonde hair pulled back in a bun.

“You Mr.” she looked at tiny slip of paper “To-ez?”

“It’s pronounced Taves” I said correcting her.

“Oh” she said looking at the slip of paper, then looking back at me. “Sorry”

“Um may I help you?” I said.

She nodded. “Hi, I’m Bonnie Timbers with child services, and this is Lillie” she paused. “Your daughter”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

An hour later, I was sitting in my condo, along with Dawn the child services lady, my lawyer Scott, and Lillie. I had found out that Lillie was three years old, almost four, which means Id had to be 20 when she was born. I guess her mother must have died from cancer, and had no known family members, and I was listed as her father on her birth certificate, and was listed in the will if something were to happen to the mother I was to be contacted, and full custody was to be given to me.

This was so confusing too me. How could this little girl be mine? I’m only 23!

Scott, my lawyer had pulled me into my kitchen to speak in private with me.

“I want a paternity test” I demanded.

“I didn’t think you wouldn’t want one. But Jon, she’s yours. I mean she looks exactly like you”

I scoffed. “She has blue eyes, I don’t have blue eyes”

“Ok one thing, but she has the same brown hair as you. She has your nose, your same face shape. Jon she’s yours”

I threw my head back, and covered my face with my hands.

“Who’s the mom again?”

He looked at the birth certificate. “A woman by the name Allison Donahue” he said. “Do you remember a girl named Allison?”

I racked my brain for any girl named Allison. Then it hit me, she was a girl I had come in contact at a party the year I became captain. She was a local, that kind of crashed the party with a bunch of other girls. I remember her because she had the same striking blue eyes as the little girl sitting on my couch. She and I hooked up a for a month or two, then out of nowhere she stopped returning my calls, and I even went to her apartment and her roommate said for me to not even try; so I didn’t.

“She was a girl I hooked up the year I became captain”

“Ok at least you remember her” he said. “I’ll get that paternity test going, do you think you could maybe get your mom and dad here to help get Lillie settled?”

I nodded, and then went to make a phone call. My mom said her and my dad would be on the next flight to Chicago. Even though my parents were a little upset, there was nothing to get between their grandbaby.

A few hours later, I was left in my apartment alone with this little brown haired toddler contently watching SpongeBob on my TV.

“Do you um want something to eat?”