Chapter 5- ""What are you going to do when Lillie starts dating?"

“How much farther?” Lillie whined, not that she was actually walking.

“Not too far” I said holding her on my hip. “Just a few more blocks.” I had finally got a Saturday off, where I had no game and only an early practice, and I really wanted to take Lillie to Millennium Park. They had just opened the ice rink, and I knew she’d get a kick out of it. I invited Piper along for the ride, since she came over and stayed with Lillie while I was at practice. Ever since the incident at Lillie’s sleepover, we have been keeping a safe distance. She’ll watch Lillie while I’m on the road, and at games. She had become my personal nanny. I’ll still see her at the UC, like nothing had happened.

“You said that a few ‘more’ blocks ago” Lillie said.

Piper stifled a laugh. “She’s right”

“Oh shut up” I said.

Lillie gasped. “Daddy!”

“What?” I said.

“You said..” she looked around to see if anyone was watching. “Shut up” she said in a low whisper. “Mrs. Hayes says that a bad phrase”

Piper burst into a fit of laughter. Lillie it said with only innocence a child has.

“Did she now?” I asked looking to the toddlers face.

Lillie nodded. “She said shut up, ugly, butt head, and crap” her voice still lowered “are all bad phrase’s”

Finally we arrived at the park. I looked at Lillie’s face light up when she saw the lit up trees and all the pretty Christmas decorations they had out, they even had Christmas music playing.

We had brought our own skates; I hated rented skates. They never were properly taken care of, and never sharp enough.

“Is it hard?” Lillie asked as I knelt in front of her, tying her skates for her.

“Skating?” I asked.

She nodded.

“Some people think so, but don’t worry about it. You’re a Toew’s; it will come naturally”

Piper laughed. “Wow making her head big already?”

I smiled. “Well it should come naturally”

I got Lillie on the ice. She wouldn’t let me let go of my hands.

I stood behind her keeping her up. I kept her tiny feet in-between my much larger ones, to keep her from wobbling too much.

“There you go” I softly said. “You’re doing so good. I’m letting go now”

Her tiny hands gripped my much larger ones even tighter. “Just five more minutes” she requested.

“I promise, I won’t let you fall”

“Ok” she quietly said.

I let go of her tiny mitten covered hands. She wobbled at first but began to glide on the ice easily

“Look daddy I’m doing it” She said happily. Before I knew it she was sprinting across the ice with no problem what so ever.

“You were right” I heard someone next to me.

I looked down to see Piper standing next to me. Her cheeks a little flushed from the cold air, and her skin looking extra tan with her cream colored sweater and coat.

“She’s a natural” I said.

“Just like her daddy” she said softly as we watched my four year old skate in the vicinity around us.