Chapter 9- "Daddy can I have a sister?"

“Daddy can I go play?” Lillie asked with pleading eyes.

“No, you’re still running a temperature” I said as I smoothed her hair. She had been in the hospital for a total of two days already and she was getting a little stir crazy. My parents had stayed with her while I was at practice. I had a home game tonight, and now that I knew Lillie was getting better, I felt better about playing in tonight’s game. I had asked my parents to do some Christmas shopping for Lillie, so I could stay with her until the game tonight, and they would stay at the hospital during the game.

“Can you watch a movie with me?” she begged.

I sighed. “Of course”

She scooted over in her bed. She had a regular size bed unlike most of the kids beds, since she was three. They still had the railing that went up and down on the sides.

I climbed in and she cuddled into my chest.

“What movie are we watching?” I asked.

“Toy Story 3” She said already tired.

I pulled up the kids movie’s section and started the movie.

They finally took the IV out of her arm, so she wrapped her cubby arms around my neck, as I held her close to me.

“I love you daddy” she said softly.

I kissed her forehead. “I love you too”

Out of my peripheral vision I saw Piper approach the door, wearing her work clothes, and a big bag in her hand.

“I love Piper too” she said.

I looked over at Piper who was leaning up against the door. She was smiling, which meant she heard every word. “She loves you too” I said. “Looks like someone’s here to see you” I said.

Lillie turned and looked at the door. “Piper!”

“Hey there sweetie” Piper came in and kissed her forehead. “I brought you something”

Lillie unlatched her arms from around my neck and sat up in the bed. “What did you bring?” she said already bouncing.

“Well… I figured you’d like something to do while you’re in the hospital, so I brought you…”

“Barbies!” Lillie squealed as she grabbed the dolls from Pipers hands, and hugged them too her chest.

“Not just Barbies, but Barbie can’t go without her accessories and clothes, right?” Piper said pulling the Barbie closet Lillie kept all her stuff in. “I also brought some coloring books and your crayons so we can color” she said pulling the crayons and books out. “Don’t worry Jon. I spent my lunch sanitizing the dolls, so they are clean as a whistle”

Lillie smiled. “What do you say?” I said.

“Thank you Piper” She said then standing up on the bed to hug Pipers neck.

“You’re welcome sweetie” Piper said then kissed her forehead.

“Knock, Knock”

I looked over at the door to see Kaner.

“Uncle Patty!” Lillie squealed.

“Lillie Pad!” He said walking over to the bed so she could hug him.

“I missed you Uncle Patty” she said truthfully. She’d been asking when Uncle Patty was going to see her almost constantly.

“I’ve missed you too” he said.