Chapter 11- "Where are we going?"

When the trainers told me I wouldn’t be able to play in the All Star game, I immediately went into plan b mode. I packed up a suitcase for Lillie and for myself and got tickets to Winnipeg. I knew Lillie had school, but while other kids went on vacations, my child couldn’t go on vacations during the school year, since I was gone all the time. As soon as the team was allowed to leave after our last game, Lillie and I were on the red eye out to Winnipeg that night.  This would be the first time Lillie had ever been to my hometown, and she would finally meet my family. Besides my parents and David, Lillie had never met the rest of my family. Lillie was all for the idea until she found out we couldn’t take Lola. Piper said she would take care of the pup till we got back.

“Where are we going?” Lillie asked tiredly as I strapped her into her seat.

“Were going to see Grandma and Grandpa remember?” I said as I looked at her trying to stay awake. I dressed her in a pair of little sweats and t-shirt so she would be comfy.

She nodded. “Why didn’t Piper come’s?” She said looking up with those huge blue eyes that she has.

I brushed her soft curls out of her face, as she fought to keep her eyes open. “She couldn’t come, she had work, but maybe when summer comes she can come with us then. Would you like that?”

She smiled and nodded, then finally succumbed to the sleep she was fighting. We were practically the only one’s on the flight, besides the two stewardess, a business man, and another lady.

The flight felt longer, but Lillie slept through the whole thing. When we landed it was close to three in the morning. I was just going to get a rental, so I didn’t have to bother my parents picking us up. As I carried a sleeping Lillie through the airport, I noticed a familiar face. My dad was standing in baggage claim wearing tear aways and an old UND hoodie of mine, holding what looked like a cup of coffee.

I smiled to myself as I walked towards him.

“Hey son” he said gently embracing me in a hug, careful not to wake Lillie.

“You didn’t have to come and pick us up” I said adjusting Lillie in my arms.

“To hell I didn’t. You don’t need to be driving this late” He said taking my carry on from my shoulder. “Besides your mother demanded I pick you up”

I smiled. My dad lived by the motto ‘Happy wife; Happy life’.

We got our bags and Lillie’s booster seat, and then we were off to my old house. Laddy, was staying at my place in Winnipeg with his family until the season was over. So I thought it would be better just to stay with my parents.

“Wherearewe’s?” Lillie slurred from the back seat.

“Were in Winnipeg baby girl” I said looking at her in the rearview mirror. “Say hi to Grandpa” I said.

“Hey Princess” My dad said.

“Hey Papa” she said. She usually called him Grandpa but when she was tired she shortened it Papa or Mamma. I saw her tiny eyes close as she drifted back into slumber.

We got to the house, and instantly went to bed. Lillie snuggled into my side as we slept in my old childhood room. My mom still had it basically the same since I left. I soon felt my eyes drift too sleep.

When I woke up, I felt next to me and found it empty. I twinge of fear went through me, because I know how Lillie is around new stuff sometimes.

I threw the covers off of me, and went in search to find her. As I opened my door, the smell of my mom making crepes met my nostrils and made my stomach growl.

I walked down the hall and down the stairs, and walked into the kitchen to see my daughter in her jammies I changed her into when we got home, swinging her legs as she say sat at the breakfast bar stuffing her tiny face with crepes.

“Good morning  daddy” She said smiling with whipped cream on her cheeks.

“Good morning baby girl” I said then kissed her forehead.

“Morning son” My mom said as she was dressed for the day drinking coffee.

I leaned down and kissed her cheek. “She wake you guys up?” I asked as I went to I fix my plate.

“Nah, I was up making breakfast when I heard her shuffle down the hall” she said handing me an already made plate.

My mom always looks out for her boys. Some call it spoiled; I call it love.

“Yeah Grandma let me help make breakfast” Lillie said proudly as she stuffed another small bite in her mouth.

“I can see” I said sitting next to Lil at the bar.

“Where’s dad?” I asked.

“He’s working on that ice rink” my mom said nodding out to the homemade rink my dad made every year when I was growing up. “When he found out Lillie and you were coming home for a little bit, he went to the hardware store and got all the things needed to make it”

Good ol’ grandpa.

I got Lillie cleaned up and dressed. Her teacher gave her work to do while she was gone. So my mother gladly helped Lillie with her homework while I went outside and helped my dad.

My dad had everything pretty much done just making sure everything was iced over enough and no imperfections with the ice.

“Missed a spot” he said as he stands behind me.

I rolled my eyes and took some extra ice and filled in the hole.

“Dad why do you even do this?” I said.

He shrugged his shoulders. “I knew Lil would get a kick out of it. Besides it’s the winter. You can’t grow strawberries too well in the snow”

I stood up and wiped the excess ice from my pants.

“So how are things with you and Piper?” My dad said grabbing a bucket and brush.

“Were good. She really wanted to come with us actually”

He nodded his head. “She’s my favorite” he said. “I mean out of all your girlfriends, she’s the only one I really like”

That surprised me.  I hadn’t actually had a girlfriend in ages, but the last couple ones I had I thought my parents liked them.

“Really? I thought you liked all my girlfriends”

“Yeah but none of those girls would date you with you having Lillie. Piper is only 22 and she’s taking the responsibility of helping you raise that little girl in there. If you don’t marry her then so help me God son I will kick your ass”

I smirked then followed my dad into the house.

When I walked into the house I saw my mom sipping on some coffee; no sign of Lillie anywhere.

“Where’s Lil?” I asked.

She swallowed her sip. “She’s down for a nap”

I smiled. I guess the skating can wait.