First Night

It didn't take long before the knocking on the door announced the soldier's presence. Kaoru's imagination began to run wild as she wondered what kind of sullen man was standing behind that door. It was always like this for Kaoru, even though this is the third time they will be hosting a German soldier. She heard Tae open the door, letting the German in. As the man took first steps into her home Kaoru could feel the heavy steps taken with combat boots resonate within her skull.

Megumi seemed to notice how anxious Kaoru was and took her younger sister's hand into her own. "We will pull through." Megumi whispered. "We always do."

A view of the soldier's feet suddenly invaded Kaoru's vision. His boots seemed extremely muddy and she wondered if they were leaving trail of mud on the wooden floor, as she was unable to see anything except those shoes.

"Good day ladies." The soldier spoke. "I am Kenshin Himura, lieutenant of the staying troop. I have been told that this is where I am to stay. I promise you not to cause any inconveniences by staying here and if you would just show me where the free room is I would not disturb you any more." Kaoru couldn't help herself but be surprised at how gentle his voice sounded. The man spoke with such a child-like innocence that Kaoru wondered if he was at least as old as twenty.

Kaoru stopped looking at the lieutenant's shoes and now was studying his appearance. The moment her eyes took in the red strands of his hair Kaoru realised that he was the same soldier giving shouting in front of the local government building. He was a clean shaven man, his purple eyes radiated warmth and a huge cross shaped scar stretched over his left cheek. He had a small built, but from the few words he said and from the way he carried himself Kaoru reckoned that the lieutenant was a part of bourgeoisie just like her.

"Your room is on the second floor, Tae will show you to it." Megumi's cold voice broke the silence which had fallen in the room. She didn't let the tension, which was so thick you could slice it with a knife, show in her voice or face.

"Thank you. I am terribly sorry for disturbing you then." The German soldier smiled gently yet weakly and followed Tae's lead. Even though Kaoru tried, she couldn't drown out the sound of those heavy footsteps the German made with every step he took while going up the stairs. She was sure that this sound will haunt her forever.

That evening Kaoru and Megumi dinned in silence. It wasn't that much of a dinner though as both sisters only stared at the plates filled with food and half-empty wine glasses set before them. Neither of the sisters had the appetite to stomach even a single bite as the German's footsteps ringing above their heads made them feel as if they were prisoners in their own home.

"You know I would like to see every single one of them choke on their own blood." Megumi hissed out so suddenly that Kaoru jerked in her seat. " We are forced to host them in our own home whenever they please, even if they killed our loved ones. And you know what is the worst part? The only fit room is father's study! Every time a filthy German like him stays in our house." Megumi pointed at the ceiling. "He stays in father's study! If father knew anything about this, he would roll in his own grave!"

Even though Kaoru understood her sister's feelings of contempt, she couldn't claim that her feelings towards the Nazis were as strong as Megumi's. She felt something more along the lines of the hatred for her own helplessness. More than once Kaoru wished that she had also fought in the war. At least this way she could have actually done something instead of cowering in the safety of her home with every blood freezing piece of news she heard on the radio and listening to one of her neighbours describe every morbid detail of someone's son's death.

About an hour later Tae cleared the dining table, carrying away plates of barely touched food and an empty bottle of wine. Neither Kaoru, neither Megumi said even a word to another until the soldiers announcing that it's already past curfew went by their house, and even then the sisters only said their goodnights before going into their own rooms for the night. Both of them listened to the heavy footsteps of the German soldier the whole night, even though he had already stopped making any noise long ago.