The Piano (Part II)

"I..I.." Kaoru stuttered and the German's eyes hardened. "This book... There is a... A key from the piano lid in it." She showed him the leather bound book which she was holding. Kaoru's hands were slightly shivering and Kaoru cursed herself for not being able to hide her feelings as well as Megumi could.

"Oh." The soldier relaxed a bit. "Is...Is that so.."

"Yes." Kaoru flipped through the pages, looking for the said key until she found it. Once the tiny item was in her palm she closed the book, put it back on the top shelf and brought the hand holding the key to her chest. "Now, if you excuse me, I will be leaving." She took a deep breath and slowly made her way towards the doorway, where the lieutenant was standing. The man also stepped back, letting her exit the room.

Just as Kaoru was about half a meter away from him, the dog started barking at her. She went pale and the officer's response to this was laughter.

"Shush, Bubi." He chuckled again. "Do not worry, it will not bite you. It just wants to play." He ruffled the fur of his four-legged companion. "I am sorry if Bubi scared you, though." The man softly smiled at Kaoru. "I hope it would not cause too much trouble if it stayed for few days from time to time. My troop found it abandoned on one of the roads and we just did not have the heart to leave it there to die, hence Bubi is not only mine and we take turns watching him. I think you might even get a long as you are both French."

"You can do as you please." Kaoru pressed her lips together.

The piano room was on the same floor as her father's study. Once Kaoru reached the room she didn't even try to unlock the piano lid. She just sat down on the piano chair and clasped the key from the lid even tighter, trying to calm her relentlessly beating heart. Kaoru felt that it's getting harder to antagonize Kenshin after witnessing that laughter and soft smiles.

After their unexpected conversation, Kaoru and the soldier started exchanging greetings whenever they met. He also started offering his help anytime he saw her carrying heavy bags and sometimes Kaoru would take him up on his offer. The lieutenant also started coming back a bit earlier - right on the curfew - and leaving a bit later - when Tae was making breakfast for Megumi and Kaoru.

What's more, the soldier was right, even if the first time she saw the dog Bubi frightened her, but Kaoru enjoyed spending time with Bubi. It was a very friendly dog, after all. Megumi wasn't as pleased with the whole thing as Kaoru was, but eventually the dog's presence also warmed her heart. She still ignored Kenshin whenever the man tried talking to her though.