After

It was already morning when both of them went to their beds and they managed to wake up only in the afternoon. Kenshin was mortified when he saw the time the clock placed on the windowsill next to his bed. The man knew that he will have to make quite an excuse to his superior once he reaches the government building.

On the other hand even though Kaoru woke up way past the usual time she was up, she didn't fret. It was not like there was a need for her to keep some kind of schedule anyway. After taking a bath, washing all that mud away and removing the dirtied bedsheets, she slowly picked out her dress - a red long sleeved one, with a black thin belt to go along with it. After that Kaoru did her hair and prepared to face the day ahead of her, even if there was only half of it left.

They passed each other on the stairs. The officer was rushing down like a mad man and Kaoru was slowly making her way up, as if she was taking a leisurely stroll. They managed to squeeze out their greetings when they passed each other, but weren't able to talk more, as it took only few second for Kenshin to run out of the house. Kaoru couldn't help herself but wonder if their next conversation will be filled with awkwardness due to yesterday's events.

Kaoru made her way to the piano room and unlocked the instrument's lid. She put the tiny and muddy key - unfortunately some mud seemed to get in her dress's pocket, hence the key got muddy - and put it on the floor next to piano. Kaoru did so not want to dirty the shiny surface of the piano and even if the mud on the key was already completely dry, she just couldn't bring herself to put the said key on the instrument.

At first Kaoru didn't play, only ran her fingers over the keys. Then she started playing Erik Satie's "Gymnopédie No.1". Kaoru didn't know why but every time she played or listened to any of Satie's work she felt extremely melancholic, even if the piece playing had no association with any of her life events whatsoever. She often pondered if that melancholic feeling was what Erik Satie wanted to convey while writing his music.