Yahiko

Kaoru's clothes seemed extremely dirty and she wasn't able to even see her shoes. It seemed as if the layer of mud directly covered her feet. As she made her way through the town her appearance attracted a lot of curious looks and even judging stares. Those eyes burning into her made her extremely uncomfortable, hence she decided to get out of the main street the moment she got a chance. Kaoru was about to go through the gap between the houses when she saw Yahiko running in her direction at full speed.

"Good thing I caught you before curfew!" He shouted and Kaoru yelped at the surprise.

Yahiko was a ten year old brat. A lot of people said to her that they were similar, but both physically - he had black hair and brown cat like eyes - and mentally she saw no likeness whatsoever. After his parents had died the butcher took him in. The old butcher had no children and cherished Yahiko as if the boy was his own son. Every week Yahiko helps the old man to deliver meat to the out of the town houses and usually by this time still shouldn't be back, that's why Kaoru was so surprised to see him.

"What are you doing here?" Kaoru asked stopping in her tracks.

"Well we were delivering meat and..." The boy rolled his eyes. He didn't even make an effort to talk clearly. "Anyway I have a message from Tae. She and Megumi will be staying at Megumi's mother-in-law's house. She said that the old lady came down with something bad and her maid ran away during the whole panic thing, so basically they're both stuck caring for her." Yahiko said between ragged breaths, indicating that he must have run more than one lap around the town while looking for her. Yahiko's face suddenly got serious. "You think you're gonna be alright though? Alone with that officer."

"Do not worry about me. I think I will manage somehow." Kaoru reassured the boy. "Anyway you should hurry home." Kaoru tapped two fingers on her wrist, indicating that it's almost the curfew.

While turning her back to Yahiko, Kaoru waved him goodbye. She disappeared behind the corner before the boy was able to mutter even a word.

As Kaoru walked those winding streets back to her home she started thinking about the officer. She still hadn't figured out why was her heart starting to beat faster every single time she thought about the man. Her trip to the woods failed her and she ended up reaching the gates leading to her house's back yard before she could work out something on her walk either.