Chapter 2

'Levi! Will you stop- GAH! Let go of me! KNOCK IT OFF!'

'Hange, this is for your own good!' Levi growled, as Hange once again tried to escape his nail brush and sponge.

After the glasses-wearing clumsy-clod yet again tripped over their own feet into the soil, Levi could no longer stand the sight of the dirt clogging up Hange's nails, and decided to take matters into his own hands.

After emerging from their trip to the basement and sweeping his brief emotional outburst under the rug, Levi had persuaded Hange to assist in some "scientific matters" in his room the next morning- where he had pounced on them with multiple hygiene products.

'Levi, I don't want to have to break your wrist, but I will.' Hange complained, squirming under Levi's weight as he knelt on top of them to keep them still while he gripped their palms.

'Very well, but I will snap your fingers in return.' Levi retorted, focusing hard on Hange's left thumb nail.

'Don't say I didn't warn you!' Hange whipped their right arm from underneath Levi's knee, swiping to grab his jacket with enough force to pull him off of them completely.

He struggled to quickly climb up and recapture his grubby victim, but Hange was too quick for him, and was poised ready for combat before he could assault their nails again.

'Thou shalt never eradicate thy natural filth!' They made their battle cry, while Levi rolled his eyes.

'Do you think acting like an adult is something you can manage?' He sighed, watching Hange's muscular form take a defensive stance.

'I'll start acting like an adult when you stop invading my personal space.' They responded.

'Hange, if there's anybody who doesn't understand the concept of personal space, it's you.' Levi shook his head, and moved forward again.

Hange took this as another imminent attack, so they moved swiftly, hooking their leg around Levi's kneecaps, and swiping him off his feet. They knew it wouldn't hurt him, just stun him and possibly knock the pride he paraded around in front of everybody.

Grunting in surprise, Levi leapt back to his feet, narrowing his eyes.

'Very well, if that's how you want it.' He warned, and raised his arms into position ready for hand-to-hand combat.

Hange was about to strike again, but then they stopped. For some reason, Levi's position rendered them stunned, and some spark of familiarity ignited inside their mind. Why did they feel like they had seen this man before, years before they had ever joined the corps?

Levi lowered his hands, confused at Hange's sudden silence. They had their brows furrowed, their mouth open, like they were trying to decipher a particularly difficult sentence to say.

'I-I....I'm sorry I was having a flashback.' Hange gawped, eyes still staring at Levi's fists.

'........okay.' Levi said uneasily, moving his palms behind his back.

What memory were they seeing? Did they really remember it?

'Captain Levi, there's been- oh..' The strange tension in the air was disrupted by commander Erwin entering the room, but starting when he saw Hange and Levi's apparent stand-off.

'Commander?' Levi acknowledged him, eager to dispel whatever feelings Hange was radiating around him.

'There's been another breach at Wall Rose, there have been reports that the colossal Titan appeared and did this, we need emergency support to stop the Titans breaching further access points. I'll explain on the way, we need to move.' Erwin's serious tone brought Hange back to their senses, and was instantly falling in step with the Commander and Captain as they made their way towards the courtyard.