Chapter 3

This is the end.

Levi desperately looked for any chance he could escape, but his ODM gear lay in pieces metres from him, and he could barely move from the impact of hitting the floor.

He never once imagined that this would be how he bit the dust, but he decided to leave his regrets until he had the eternity of death to consider them. So he closed his eyes and waited for the darkness to consume him.

But suddenly, he felt something crash into him with the force of a steam train, and next thing he knew he was hurtling through the air, his own cape tangled within wires and fabric- and hair. Oily, tangled, copper-brown hair.

'Hange!' He complained furiously.

'Hi there, damsel in distress!' They cried, cheerfully breathless, their arms wrapped around him.

They came to land upon the highest building, not that it would in anyway leave them out of range from the sixteen foot. Levi tore himself from Hange's hold, trying to stop his face from flaming red.

'You could have gotten yourself killed, idiot!' He snapped at them, while they had their hands on their hips with a grin.

'Well, if this is the thanks I get, I really should have left you to be Titan chow.' Hange snorted with a roll of their eyes.

'Don't be a hero, you said!' His attention was turned to the sixteen foot, which was stomping over to them eagerly.

'Okay, I may have had a re-think of that complex, I'll explain later- YAH!' They left Levi stood aimlessly on the roof, ODM wires aimed at the Titans neck.

But this one was huge, and fast, and it intercepted Hange's trail with a swipe of its humongous arm. They had to rapidly change course, crashing against a wall and then using it to launch themselves up in the air again.

'Aim for the back, go left around the legs, it'll propel you straight to the neck!' Levi shouted out instructions while he was stranded on his own two legs.

'Got it!' Hange gritted their teeth in concentration, following their partner's direction meticulously.

Coming from the Titan's side, they shot the hook right into the Titan's spine, allowing the gravity to pull them down around the legs. Spinning around its flailing ankles, Hange activated a burst of steam to shoot them straight upwards with the wire's elasticity. Ripping the nape out with a burst of hot blood, Hange jumped from the height and landed back with Levi.

'Thanks, Captain.' They beamed, going over to the edge to gaze down at the fallen Titan.

'Hange, this isn't the time! Give me your ODM gear, I need to get to Jaeger and the commander.' Levi bossed.

'Um, I don't think so. Get your own, I'll go to the commander.' Hange turned to look at him over their shoulder, as the Titan blood evaporated from their cape and face.

'You might be humanity's strongest, but let's just remember that I am humanity's smartest.' Hange winked mischievously at him, before blasting their ODM towards the commander's position.

'Hange!' Levi shouted, but it was to no avail, they were bounding off across the rooftops and out of hearing range within a wink.

'Captain! Do you need help?' Cadet Blouse landed followed by Cadet Springer, and Levi could see behind them that most of the Titans had been taken down, and things looked in better control.