Chapter 6

'And then I added four drops of iodine, and the whole thing went up in flames! Isn't that incredible?! Who knew you could get a reaction like that from a material so simple!'

Hange's mother, Greta, chuckled softly as her only child got so carried away in their experimental recount that they knocked their own glasses off of their face. The glasses landed on the starched hospital bed sheet, and Greta picked them up and gently wiped the lenses with her nightgown sleeve.

'Next in line to be a military commander, and yet still as clumsy as you were when you were just a small thing.' Greta let Hange lean their head forward so she could fasten the glasses back on.

'Some things never change.' Hange smiled, and then noticed their mother was gazing intently at their face.

'What?'

'You're clean!'

'Oh, yeah. Horrible, isn't it?'

'I suppose that wasn't your own doing, was it?' Her mother raised a knowing eyebrow, and Hange shrugged and fiddled with their bag strap.

'A date?' Her mother continued, but Hange said nothing.

'Ooh, was it that handsome boy with the-' Greta started with that motherly excitement.

'Mama, give it a rest! Captain Levi and I are just work friends, nothing more.' Hange rolled their eyes, their mother still retained that obsession over their love life like when they were still a teenager.

'Mm hmm.' Greta sat back against the pillows with crossed arms and an unsatisfied expression on her face.

'If you must know, it's because we've got a regiments ball tonight.' Hange explained.

'How exciting, and will you be lovely Commander Erwin's dance partner?' Greta sighed wistfully, clasping her hands while Hange groaned and rolled their eyes.

Hange's mother had a ridiculously soft spot for Erwin, bewitched by his classically handsome appearance and charming manner that all mothers swoon over. But it was mainly down to how kindly he had treated Hange when they were no more than a bumbling cadet. Hange certainly hadn't always been the veteran they were today, and it was Erwin who had personally tutored Greta's child till they had blossomed into a strong, independent and capable successor.

'You're so embarrassing, ma.' Hange moaned and their mother chuckled again, before becoming silent and her features softening.

'I'm so proud of you, you know that?' She said quietly, reaching forward to tuck a strand of Hange's hair behind their ear.

'Your father would be too.' She cupped her hand under Hange's chin.

'I know ma', you tell me everyday.' Hange grinned wonkily, just like they did when they were in the terminally awkward stage of adolescence.

'I know, but I just want you to never forget it. You're so brave.' The two exchanged bittersweet smiles, Greta plagued by the secret agony knowing that her child's line of work meant that they could be snatched from her at any point.

'I know you're an independent person, dear, and I love that about you. But I just want to know there's going to be somebody to look after you, I'm not going to be around forever.' Greta said seriously.

Hange winced when she said that, never liking it when their mother became morbid. Realistically, she was right. Greta had been confined to the hospital for more than a month now, a mysterious illness that came on suddenly and seemed to be planning on hanging around.