Chapter 6

~Gerard's POV~ 

Having Frankie back was such a relief and brought me much comfort especially since I've been having  such a hard time is school, lately, but I don't want to tell him.  Frankie had this innocence about him, he had a glimmer in his eye and a hope in the world that I used to see when I looked in the mirror. But not anymore and I want to always see that when I look at him. 

"Gerard, I wanna go to school." Frankie stated, after trying to read the cover of my text book. "I wanna be smart, like you!"

At that moment, I felt grown up. Kind of like a parent, you could say. Having to explain  my thoughts to Frankie would  be hard. How do I say it? Frankie, people at school are mean, school makes learning stressful and hard and not fun, and you get bullied. No, I couldn't say that to him because he has that hope. The hope it's easy. And I can't take that away from him.

"I want to be a real boy." He added. "Like you!"

I don't want you to grow up. I thought of saying but I also thought for a moment. I'm gonna grow up one day and I'd get tired of kid games and he's be lonely. Maybe.... maybe we could grow up... together. But it was impossible  and I knew it. So I pushed the thought out of my mind and just told him he simply can't because of his, different state. I said no more because I didn't want to hurt him.

I soon had him distracted with games and toys and it was like the thought had left his mind totally, though I knew it hadn't, that's not how it works. He sometimes had a thoughtful look on his face, and he kept playing school boy.

*********

Over the course of the next few weeks, he continued to show interest in education and social interaction, which is all fine and normal, and I wanted him to have it but he just was so different people would freak out, people might try to take him away from me and I didn't want anyone taking away my Frankie, he was the only one I had. I wasn't about to lose him. But as his curiosity peaked, my mind began to realize that this whole time I was just going with this, not thinking of reality. I'm not going to lose Frankie, I tell myself, but he's going to lose me. Because I'm going to grow up. I tried and tried to push this out of my mind and live in the moment, but it hurt so bad it was like a flood in my mind.

I would tear up and Frankie would ask what's wrong, he'd cuddle up next to me and sing a silly little song over and over until I fell asleep, sometimes he'd fall asleep though, in the middle of a word even. It was really cute. I wanted those moments to last forever but they couldn't. But this time, he made a wish before he went to bed I was sure wouldn't come true but I didn't say anything, I just smiled.

"Gerard, if I became a real boy, I could go to school and have friends and learn?" He asked as he leaned against me.

"Yes, and play games and sports, if you want." I added with a smile and he returned the smile.

We continued to dream before we drifted off to sleep.

But then, I swore I was dreaming, a pale blue light shone outside of my window and it got closer and closer, it was familiar, but also different. My window opened and the lady came in again. I must me dreaming, I must be, I told myself. But sure as day there she was.

I sat up, puzzled. She smiled and look at Frankie, fast asleep and then at me again. "Young man, you have cared for him. And he, you. And I've heard your prayers about losing each other in age, but I'm here to grant him his wish. You got your wish and now he gets his. Then she waved her wand at him and his wooden frame turned to skin and bone. His hair was real and you could see each little detail of his kin if you looked close enough, and I felt... I felt a heartbeat. Tears welled up in my eyes and I put my hand over my mouth.

"Thank you!" I choked out. "I can't believe this is happening. Thank you, you've made my life happy."

She smiled, "you're welcome." And then with that she went back out my window and was gone.

I woke him up with a smile and I was so happy. He was in awe, he felt his skin and hair and eyelashes and everything, he was so shocked. He began to cry real boy tears.

"Gerard, I'm a real boy." He cried. "I'm a real boy." He through himself in my arms and cried and smiled and laughed.

"I can go to school and... and have friends.... and grow up with you and be happy forever!"

"Yes, yes you can, Frankie!" I replied, "Tomorrow, I'll tell my uncle your an orphan friend from school and you need to stay here, okay? So you can live with me." He nodded and smiled so big, we were both so happy we didn't know what else to do besides cry and hug, and list off the things we can do, where we can go when we grow up, what we can be.

Someone is out there looking out for us afterall. And now, I can grow up with Frankie, my real boy.

________________

Hello! I'm sorry I haven't updated in a long time, and I'm sorry this story was so short, it was supposed to be longer but I didn't know where to go and lost interest for awhile, but I think this works out well, I didn't want to draw it out. I hope you enjoyed this story!

Thanks for reading, please comment / vote/ share and check out other stories of mine!

Thank you for reading this story. :)