Chapter One

Attention lovely writers.  Another story uploaded, I'd love to know what you think. 

<3 -BlackDrop

It wasn't long after midnight and apart from the last few hurried footsteps against the wooden floors passing my door, most of the other students had settled in their dorms.  I lay still with the duvet pulled tight around me, hoping it wouldn’t take long before the halls were as quiet as the night outside.

“Are you asleep Emmeline?” Lucy whispered as she hovered at the bottom of my bed.  I didn't answer and instead I let out a heavy sign, hoping that it indicated I wasn't awake. After a couple of seconds she tiptoed over to her side of our room, the springs creaking as she jumped into bed.    

                Soon enough I heard the breathing coming from Lucy’s direction even out so I knew she was asleep.  Pulling the covers back, my eyes squinted at my bedside alarm and saw it was now after one.  Every night, since I was sent to this school, held the same routine for me.  I would walk barefoot across the wooden floors, not bothering to put anything over my nightgown because, although it was night time, the end of summer wind was still warm to feel.  As I unlatched the small metal lock on our balcony window, I glanced back over my shoulder to make sure Lucy hasn’t stirred.  I opened it just enough for my body to fit through so the breeze wouldn’t blow into the room and wake her. 

The warm wind sent shivers across my body as it did every night.  Stepping out onto the stone balcony, the ivy that had wrapped itself around the pillars wavered causing the scent of jasmine to fill my senses.   My long, wavy brown hair lifted and whipped around in the air and I could feel tiny goose bumps form on my arms.  The grounds of Rosewood School were ink black with the dotted beam of white shooting up from the ground lights.  The howling wind rustled through the acres of forest that guarded the old stone building.  The Redwoods shooting up into the air, and from this view, the tree tops looked as if they were almost touching the glistening stars that covered the midnight blue sky. 

Taking long, deep breaths I lifted my nightgown above my knees and cautiously stepped up onto the edge of the balcony.  I allowed the floods of memories to enter my mind.  The painful memories that swallowed me whole each night I stood on the stone edge.  Images of my mother cooking breakfast for me and my brother Jamie, as he flicked through the latest comic book came to the forefront of my mind.  My father stood in front of the mirror trying to do his tie and failing as he did every morning before finally giving up and calling for my mother who would wipe her hands on her flowered apron and tie it perfectly.

Have you got everything?  Don't forget your father will pick you up after 4 because we’ve got to go straight the airport.  If you can think of anything you haven’t packed give me a call sweetie and I’ll get it for you. 

Emmeline, grip the wheel a little tighter.  Ease up on the break darling you don't want to stop, just slow down.  Take the next left.  You’re mother will be happy that you’re doing so well. 

Can we get some candy sis?  If we get chocolate I’ll share it with you. 

Each of their voices echoing through my mind brought fresh tears to my eyes.  I closed my eyes and took a few deep breaths.  This is it.  I lifted my head to the sky and spoke to my family.  

                If you can hear me, I love you all and I miss you so much.  I’ve tried to do it alone and it has been the worst year of my life.  Mother, I know you would be cursing me right now for even thinking about this as a way out, but I've thought a lot about it and I want to do this.  I need to do this.  I can’t live another day without you and I’m sorry.  I hope to God I see you all again soon. 

I brought my head down and opened my eyes.  I was ready.  My eyes travelled across the dark forest in front of me and in that instant I realised that what was in front of me was exactly what I had been feeling for the past year.  Dark.  Emptiness.  Alone.  Everything that forest was. 

                My dark green eyes wandered everywhere, this would be the last image I ever saw and in some way I was content with that.  It was beautiful.  

A quick movement caught my attention, but it was as black as its surrounding so I couldn’t make out what it was.  Probably just a fox, I told myself.  Having planned this moment for weeks if not months, I had decided long ago I didn't want to end everything with sad thoughts.  Every happy image I had of my mother and father, and my brother instantly flashed through my mind.  The small sad smile turned to a full open mouthed smile the longer I remembered things from our past. 

                I could feel my body lean forward ever so slightly when a voice interrupted my thoughts.  “Why are you trying to kill yourself?” My eyes went wide at the male voice and I didn't know where it came from.  Carefully looking over my shoulder I stared back into my room, but there was no sound other that the light snores coming from Lucy.  I glanced back around to the forest and focused on the place that I had seen the fox, but again there was nothing there.  Who was that?  “It’s pointless, you know.  Once you’re gone, you’re gone.”  The male voice spoke again.  I could feel myself losing patience, who the hell what that?  “Let me guess, you’re boyfriend broke up with you and now you’re a poor little heartbroken girl.”  He sniggered.  I let out a groan of frustration.  “That’s it, isn’t it?  God you’re pathetic.”  I could hear the amusement in his voice and even though I couldn’t see him, I could somehow imagine him shaking his head, disappointed. 

I wanted to scream ‘who the hell interrupts someone at a time like this?’ but I knew I would probably wake Lucy, and that was the last thing I wanted to do.  Instead I picked up a stone from the ledge and let it drop the ground in the hope whoever it was would step out.  “Was that supposed to hit me?”  I could hear the jerk laugh like it was a joke.  The gravel beneath his feet began to crunch so I knew he was walking, the only thing I didn't know is where he was walking to.  “Jumping is a waste of time, but good luck with it anyway.”  The sound of his feet hitting the gravel became distant until it could no longer be heard. 

                I stood there, frozen to the spot.  What has just happened?  Who was that guy?  All the questions that circled my head couldn’t be answered.  I didn’t know who he was, what he looked like, or where he came from.  The one thing I did know was that I certainly didn't like him.           

 Before I knew, the black sky had turned an orangey-pink and the birds were chirping as they flew above me.  Fresh tears fell down my cold cheeks as I realised it was too late.  I would have to wait another day before I could be with my family again, and it was all because of a stranger I hope I never meet.   

 Like? Hate? Let me know <3