Chapter 2

It felt so good having the earth’s soil under my soft paws. I had the urge to roll around in the dirt, but I didn’t need Jacob to get mad at me. So, instead, I stood ready as I crouched down low, tail swaying behind me, and ran! I felt like laughing, but I didn’t dare. It would come out near a growl and if someone heard . . . well, I didn’t want to get shot. As I was running I noticed a black shadow covering part of the forest, and then as soon as it had come it vanished. I ignored the goose bumps threatening to tell me that that black shadow was bad news.  

I stayed outside for who knows how long. I stopped running and padded around as the wind ruffled my thick fur. Once I got tired, I curled up on the floor and stared up at the sky, stomach facing upwards. It was nice and breezy today and it felt good against my whiskers.  Suddenly, I smelled a different scent in the air. I quickly jumped up and stood in attack mode. I crouched down low ready to spring at the first sign of danger. My tail swayed behind me in anticipation.

And then I saw someone. It was him. That boy that had bumped into me. What was he doing out here in the middle of the forest?! I heard myself growl unconsciously.

The boy turned around once he heard me and got into defense mode. I chuckled.

“Who’s there?!” The boy’s voice didn’t waver. It sounded strong and it caught me off guard. Hm, maybe I should play around with him a little.

I circled him behind the trees, so he wouldn’t see me, until his back was to me. He moved his head looking from side to side and then turned around facing me. I growled.

I circled him again until his back was facing me again. And then he turned around and faced me, AGAIN!! Ugh! I tried again. I wasn’t about to give up because some guy who I happened to bump into before was suddenly here, and kept turning around every time I tried to get him from behind! I was outraged. I tried to calm myself down.

I saw him smirk. That did it. I leapt out of my hiding space. I loved to play around with humans when I was in my panther form. I never hurt anybody, but watching them scream in fright was something I could never forget. It used to make me sad at first. Imagine if every time someone saw your face they screamed and ran. Some people would even get out a gun and start shooting.

For some time I went into exile, but Jacob was the one who brought me back. Ever since then I feel like I owe him something in return.

My parents dumped me when I was small. I had gotten angry one time, because I didn’t get to get something I wanted and then I Changed. They pointed at me and screamed “Monster!” I ran away that night.

When I transformed back I got caught and sent to an orphanage. I stayed there for a while until one day Jacob came and adopted me. He said he didn’t care if I was a mutant, or as I know what I am now, a shape-shifter. He thought it was cool and then made an oath to always be there for me whenever I needed him. In other words he’s not really my brother, but he is now. 

I noticed the guy flinch, but he didn’t make a move to run. I laughed at his bravery. I crouched down low and felt like scaring him. I growled and hissed. The guy sighed and sat down. I took a step back. This guy was freaking me out. No one has ever just sat there looking at me.

I took a step toward him cautiously. I actually didn’t want to scare him anymore. Plus, I was curious. What do people usually say? Oh yes, curiosity killed the cat. I rolled my eyes at the saying. But they do also say that satisfaction brought him back.

The guy looked at me.

“You act different than other wild cats I’ve seen. You know, you seem less . . . what’s the word, wild?” he said still eyeing me. I growled, but stepped closer. He held out his hand toward me. I went up to him and sniffed it.

“You’re a cute one. I would give you a name, but then that would be rude. You probably all ready have one. Oh what’s this?” he stepped closer to my neck. I had forgotten I still had my necklace on me. I always kept it on because it fit me when I was in both my forms.

He took the necklace into his hands and looked at the engraving.

“So your name is Grace. Strange name for a panther, but it’s still yours. I didn’t know panthers’ wore necklaces in the first place,” he chuckled. I was confused. How was this guy the one I bumped into on the street and smirked at me?

“Well, I have to go. Bye Grace. Stay out of trouble,” he rubbed behind my ears sending a bolt of electricity through me and then left. I purred softly. Oh well, It was time to go back anyways. I slowly made my way back to where my clothes were. I thanked whoever would listen that they were still there. I morphed back. My fur went back in and my paws turned back to fingers. My ears popped back in and so did my tail. I went back on two’s and quickly put my clothes back on.

I made my way out of the forest. I was only a few miles away from home. Once I got back onto a cemented path I started to run. I already missed the feeling of the wind against me. It took me awhile, but eventually I could make out our new apartment from afar.

I slowed down. As I passed “my” school, I thought, why should I go to school anyways? The only reason I bothered was because Jacob made me and when he said something I did it. 

I sighed. I felt a longing to see that boy again. HELL, I didn’t even know his name. It was a strange feeling I had to admit. I smacked my palm to my forehead then made my way past the school and down the road to my place.

When I finally got there I checked my watch. It was exactly three fifteen. I spent that much time in the forest? Wow, I need to be careful. But it was good timing.

“Jacob?” I called as I placed my backpack down.

“Yes?” He called from his room.

“Oh, I thought you were working today,” I made my way to his room.

He shook his head, “They told me I would start in two weeks.” I laughed. He frowned.

“What’s so funny?” he asked looking incredulous.

“Nothing, it’s just that when I went to go check out the school they told me the same thing. Well, actually they told me next month, but I kind a yelled at them . . .” I said trailing off. I thought about it for a moment. “Maybe I should have threatened them. That would have worked. Or, or, or, maybe I could have let my sharp cat teeth seep out and scare the pee pee out of her!” I exclaimed.

“Pee pee?” He asked laughing at me.

“Shut up, you know what I mean,” I said slightly pushing him.

“Ouch that hurt,” he said rubbing the spot where I touched him. I looked down to see my nails had turned into claws.

“Ugh, this is happening way too often. Sometimes my ears will pop out or my tail when I’m talking to someone!” I yelled angry.

“Calm down or you’ll transform fully!” He cautioned me. I closed my eyes and took deep breaths. Slowly, very slowly, my claws turned back to nails.

I sighed.

“Man you scared me!” he winked. I felt like punching him. But what if I grew out my claws and paws again? I didn’t want to take that chance.

“I’m going to go eat,” I said as I felt my stomach groan. “Be quiet!” I murmured.

I opened the fridge. Ugh, nothing much. Oh well, I guess I’ll have a pop tart. I went to the cupboards and got a cinnamon one. I quickly took a bite and chewed feverishly.  

Jacob came to join me. He took some bread out of the fridge. I think it was sourdough bread.

“So what are we doing today?” I asked with my mouth full.

“Don’t talk when you’re eating,” he said as he stuffed a huge piece of bread in my mouth. Since I couldn’t talk because of the bread I simply glared at him. 

The door bell rang. I swallowed and went to see who it was. I opened the door.

I gaped at who it was then put a hand to my hip and looked that person up and down. It was him.