Chapter 10

I groggily made my way into the school’s main office. The woman from last month was still in the same chair with the same scowl as she looked up as I approached her desk.

“Hello. How may I help you?” She said with composure. I wanted to roll my eyes, but I ended up yawning and smacking my lips for effect. She frowned creasing her forehead in an unattractive way.

“I’m ready for high school. I just need my schedule and I’ll be on my way,” I reported tiredly barely able to keep my eyelids from sagging.

After a few minutes of typing away at the computer and the printer wheezing next to her, she reluctantly handed me my schedule. I grabbed it as quickly as I could from her and ran out of the office. Gabi was waiting for me outside and now came to my side.

For the last two weeks or so I’ve been spending a large amount of time with Gabi ever since Jacob ordered me to never be alone. Someone is always sleeping in my room and I’m insisting that Jacob doesn’t bother anymore. He snores so much I can’t get a wink of sleep. Thanks to him, I’m going to be falling asleep in class from the first period. Oh well, the teachers should get used to me from the first day.

I stifled a yawn as Gabi grabbed my schedule and scanned it. I watched his facial expressions change from a scowl to a full grin in a mere second. “So,” I asked him stifling another yawn, “Bad or good?”

He looked at me and scowled, “Stop doing that.”

“Stop what?” I asked yawning. He pointed at me.

“That! Stop yawning, you’re making me fall asleep!” He looked at the schedule again. “I have only three classes with you. We have the same math class. Hey, I didn’t know you were smart! We have P.E. together and the same elective. You never told me you were into art.”

“I’m not,” I teased him. “Romeo told me what elective you were most likely going to pick. I’d rather go to an elective I don’t care about and be in the same class as you than in a class where I actually like what I’m doing.” He looked at me and laughed.

I smiled, too tired to join in. “How about my other classes? Any of the guys in there?”

He looked it over again. “You have Math with Jose, Anthony and me since it’s a twelfth grade class. I’m not sure about English class. For science you have biology so you are probably going to have Jose and Derek. Eleventh and twelfth graders have P.E. together so we are all in that class. That should be fun,” He murmured the last part under his breath but I still heard it. “I’m not sure about Spanish class and in Art, its Romeo and me.”

“Ah, not too bad, if you ask me. Though, if you do ask me I would say that I have way too many classes with Romeo!” I exclaimed through my blurry state. Gabi sighed in agreement.

I took the schedule from his hand and looked at it. It read:

1st Period: Calculus

2nd Period: 11th grade English

Break

3rd Period: Biology

4th Period: Physical Education

Lunch

5th Period: Spanish (second years)

6th Period: Elective (Art)

The first bell rang at the same time I heard Romeo hooting through the throng of teenagers. He had to shove a couple of people out of the way to reach us.

“Hey Gorgeous! Is that your schedule?” Romeo asked and grabbed it from my hands before I could answer back. I got used to Romeo’s constant nicknames.