Chapter 15

Jacob immediately began to put restrictions on my coming and goings no matter how many times I protested. Jane told me to go to sleep for school and promised she would handle the situation. I left to my room but it took me hours before I could fall asleep. My mind was wide awake as images from my past flashed before my eyes.

Gabi had left my room before I left to consult with Jacob which turned out to be a bad idea. I’ve never seen him so enraged and Jane more sorrowful. I was completely lost for words and then wanted to break everything I could get my hands on.

In the morning, I was so tired and dizzy. I don’t know how I was able to dress myself. I groggily made my way out of the house and continued down the road without watching where I was going and leaving my feet to lead the way. I was so out of it that I had forgotten to wait for Gabi. The sound of thundering footsteps sounded from behind me and I stopped to allow him to catch up.

“What’s the hurry?” he asked breathless. He placed his hands on his knees as he slowed his heart and breathing rate.

“Sorry,” I said apologized drowsily. I had to keep blinking to keep my eyes open. His face blurred in my vision and I failed to stifle a yawn.

“You don’t seem ok. Did you get any sleep last night?” he inquired with a concerned look.

I was able to muster a smile for his benefit and replied, “I think so?”

He was unconvinced and wrapped an arm around me to keep me steady. I was glad for his support and leaned against him. I almost fell asleep on his shoulder even though we were walking. The sound of the school and the students bothered me.

Gabi helped me all the way to my locker where I leaned against it for support. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath.

“You know they say eight hours of sleep enhances beauty. You should consider it. You need all the help you can get,” I heard a bitchy voice emit towards me. I forced my eyes open and I saw Rose standing there with her long hair done in curls and her dark eyes framed with thick dark lashes. She had a few of her girlfriends next to her smirking. I knew one of them to be named Selena. The other girl had long dark hair that reached her waist and looked slightly Asian due to the shape of her eyes. She was taller than Selena who was nowhere above five feet but an inch or two shorter than Rose. It was then that I noticed Rose was wearing heels. Cheater.

I wanted to kick her but I couldn’t muster the strength. The only thing that was bothering me more than their presence was the way Rose was looking at Gabi. He seemed uncomfortable under her intense gaze.

“Why don’t you take your own advice Rose? Oh wait, you probably have mommy and daddy pay for all the plastic surgeries and tummy tucks you need. It’s ok, your secret is safe with me.” I gave her my famous “fuck” face. I remember someone mentioning that she was from the rich side of town so my comment seemed appropriate.

She looked honestly offended but she quickly resumed her bitchy manner and scoffed. “Pititful,” she spat before she walked away. Selena shot me a look as she followed Rose. The girl with the extremely long dark hair stared at me confused. I raised one eyebrow in question. She cocked her head and continued to scrutinize me.

“Joudy! Hurry up! Class is going to start and we still need to get our stuff from our lockers!” I heard Rose call for the girl with the long dark hair.

Joudy took one last look at me before she turned away and walked toward Selena and Rose. I closed my eyes again and tried to force Joudy’s face out of my mind. Why did she look at me like that?

“Let’s grab your stuff so we can get to class.” Gabi pulled me out of my haze. I got my math supplies out of my locker and slammed it shut. We made it to class the minute the bell rang.