Chapter 13

“You still keep your necklace on when you Change? I’m surprised you haven’t lost it yet,” Jane remarked as we hid behind separate bushes to strip.

“Yeah, I like to have something I can carry when I’m in both forms. It makes me feel safe and whole and in case I ever go out of control I have this necklace to remind me of who I am in the end.” I folded my clothes as I placed them next to the bush.

“Very insightful Grace. I give you props.” I heard her rustling around her bush across the dense field.

“Why, thank you.”

“Your most welcome.”

I chuckled softly to myself. This was the second time we were going to Change together ever since she came. I felt very comfortable around her even when I was in my vulnerable stage between my human and animal form. She had helped me Control myself back in Africa. She taught me the basics and how to keep my emotions in check and if I could master that then I had nothing to worry about; I could lead a normal life.

“I’ll see you in five minutes,” Her voice drifted from a few meters away.

“Psh, it takes me less time than that nowadays,” I replied cockily.

I could almost imagine her rolling her eyes as she said, “Just Change Grace.”

I smiled as I began my transformation. I proved her right when I came out from behind the bush under five minutes but was disappointed when I saw her in her beautiful form waiting patiently for me.

Her vivid pelt was a lighter shade than wild lionesses which made her look exotic. It also made her a valuable prize for hunters of all kinds. Her pelt matched her blonde hair and her human grey eyes watched my every step. Shape-shifters always managed to keep their human eyes even after Transformation.

I growled my disappointment at seeing her waiting. If a lioness could roll her eyes she would have done it. We started off like normal and just took to prancing around the forest as we left our scent and memorized every branch and twig. The soft earth under my rough paws put me into a state of bliss. Even though it irritated Jane, I managed to let her allow me to scratch the tree in order to sharpen my nails. Of course, it included the pleasure of massaging them after so long. Jane didn’t like it when I did that because she was paranoid that someone would be able to tell that we were here.

A while later, we tore off in a frenzy; we raced each other rock over rock and branch over branch. The wind beneath my pelt felt amazing and the thumping of our footfalls echoed through the woods. I threw my head back and growled so loud that a few perched birds took flight. Jane shot me a glare and I pretended not to notice. I was having too much fun to care.

We settled down in a clearing soon after and she went about licking my pelt like a mother and fussing over me. It got to the point that I had to growl for her to back off. She snuggled beside me and fell fast asleep.

I must have fallen asleep too because next thing I knew I was being nudged awake by Jane. I groggily got up as I yawned widely. She motioned to the clearing and then to the branches set on the floor of the forest. I growled at her for waking me up to show me some branches and as I was going to go back to sleep she nipped my shoulder and nudged me.

She made a crude circular motion with her paw and again motioned to the clearing and then to the neatly placed twigs on the floor. I thought she might be going crazy but I wasn’t sure. I took a look around and noticed that the clearing was indeed circular and there was something odd about the sinister perfect way the branches were placed on the floor.

A drop of rain splashed across my muzzle as I hissed and my hair went up. This was the clearing in my dream. Jane noticed it before I had. I felt the ends of my hairs rise up in alarm as I took in my surroundings and unconsciously started to move back. Jane followed but she was calm and collected. We made it back to our bushes in record time and I don’t think I’ve ever Changed so quickly in my life. I quickly put on my clothes and wasn’t surprised to see Jane waiting for me.