If I Can't Have You

Don't forget that you're human.

The sky was a thick orange, dazzled with flicks of silver and pink that were recognised as struggling stars demanding breath. Gradually, a perfect blue flooding onto the canvas, eloping the beautiful colours to start anew.

For a second, the two skies met and seemed to discuss their fate. Defeated, the orange fizz disappeared as the blue sky swallowed it whole. However, Kenna saw it as something else, as if the orange sky was letting the blue sky take over, as the moon trades with the sun.

Kenna glanced away from the sky and over at Oran who was staring at her mindlessly. Her lips lifted into the lightest of smiles as she dropped back to lie down on the grass.

Oran joined her, keeping a safe distance. "Where are your mother and father?" He asked. Kenna turned on her side so she was facing Oran and searched his face curiously.

There was nothing wrong with the question he asked; it was a normal question. However, Kenna didn't know how to piece her answer.

She could lie to him but something about the golden-haired boy who had grass tickling his cheek made Kenna not want to lie.

"They're far apart from each other, my mother the furthest, but I love them both strongly," she answered instead, feeling that it was neither a truth nor a lie.

Oran nodded, consent with the answer, and shifted on his side to face Kenna. Slowly, he smiled as his eyes glanced all over her face.

Kenna enjoyed Oran's company and valued his easy going nature. He was a lively person; kind, a good listener, a shoulder to cry on. However, with everything she has been through, Kenna didn't find Oran interesting.

She doesn't mind. She liked not interesting. "Which one had chocolate hair?" Oran asked after.

Kenna shrugged, thinking the question was a strange one. "My mother."

Her eyes flickered back to the sky as it became another shade darker. The students should be in their common rooms at this time but Oran had insisted they go and watch the sky.

Kenna knew he was being ironic, but agreed anyway. "I thought you had somewhere to be," Oran reminded Kenna and the girl sprung up in surprise.

Rapidly, she darted upwards and started running towards the school, not giving Oran an explanation. Kenna was out of breath by time she reached the front of Dumbledore's office. She knocked three times before it flicked open.

As always, the room was warm and welcoming, with Dumbledore seated behind the desk and a tray of tea laid out in front of him.

"Sorry, Sir, I forgot," Kenna explained as she sat opposite the professor. She shunned herself, again, for her lack of organisation. Maybe Oran was too good of a distraction.

"It's understandable, Kenna, you must have a lot on your mind," Dumbledore said, offering a better excuse.

That night at the house, when Kenna found out she was a Banshee, Dumbledore had offered her lessons on control. Gradually, she had accepted but hadn't felt so excited.

"So, how are we going to do this, Sir?" Kenna asked as she rose from her chair. Dumbledore moved from his desk, while carefully pulling out his wand. Instinctively, Kenna reached for her wand but Dumbledore signalled for her to leave it.

Kenna give him a curious look as he levelled himself in front of her. "Now, Kenna, close your eyes," the professor instructed. Although she had full trust in the professor, Kenna was hesitant to close her eyes.