This Time Last Year

It's a shame that it's made for death, like most beautiful things.

Shivering, Teddy rubbed his hands together, occasionally stopping to blow warm air onto them.

"Where is he?" Kenna's best friend moaned and started hopping on the spot.

Sighing, Kenna removed her mittens and handed them to Teddy, hoping it would quiet him for a while.

On the other side of her, Hanna legs were bouncing and her eyes were wide open, but not from coldness.

"He'll be here soon," Hanna squealed, causing Kenna to smile.

And, as always, the blonde beauty was correct, as Isaac awkwardly made his way over the frozen river and into the cave.

After a few deep breaths, Kenna's father straightened up and a huge grin grew on his face.

"Merry Christmas!" Isaac exclaimed.

In response, Hanna jumped with delight and hugged Isaac fiercely, while Teddy stood shaking and muttering under his breath.

Kenna rubbed her eyes roughly before walking over to her father and hugging him. "Merry Christmas," she replied, her voice scratchy.

Pulling back, Isaac inspected his daughter's face. Her eyes were drooping and she was slouching uncomfortably.

"Have you slept, Ken?" He asked.

Kenna chucked shortly. "I have school work, you know."

For a moment, Isaac looked proud of his daughter. But, Teddy decided to say, "she's lying. Kenna gets so excited for Christmas that she can't sleep."

"I do not," Kenna protested, her cheeks turning red.

"This is all very nice and sweet," Hanna interrupted. "But, I think I'm going to freeze to death."

Quickly, Isaac pulled the bag from his shoulder and passed around the blankets he had brought.

Teddy took it gratefully and almost collapsed on the floor. Laughing, the others joined him.

"When you told me you were coming down from Christmas, I didn't think we'd be spending it in a cave," Kenna told her dad.

He had insisted on coming to Hogwarts as soon as Kenna told him she wasn't coming home for Christmas.

"Sorry, but I'd choose the freezing cold over spending Christmas without my only child."

Mockingly, Hanna aww'd as Isaac continued to pull out food and wrapped boxes from his bag.

"Presents!" Hanna exclaimed and the word made Teddy responsive again.

The three friends took each of their boxes and opened them eagerly. Hanna received too much jewellery, Teddy was given vinyls, and Kenna got a handful of journals, all written in.

"Who's are these?" Asked Kenna, as her eyes raised to her father and noticed he was avoiding her stare.

"They're Jem's, your mother."