Chapter 29: Ambivalence

The forest was peaceful as I stepped over rocks and tree limbs, listening to the Pokemon go about their days. Their average, normal days where they didn't have to deal with somehow finding their dead uncle's long lost best friend in a series of unfortunate events.

What was I supposed to think of him? I wondered. Sure, he had been nice. But I had been set on avoiding everything related to my uncle when he'd died. Now, I wasn't. But at the same time, what do you say to someone who probably knew your favorite person better than you did? How do you talk about that person after they died?

And did I owe him an apology for treating my uncle's Electivire like that?

I sighed. I hadn't really wondered where he was. I had been trying to avoid him, the Pokemon version of my uncle, all these years. Of course I hadn't thought about him.

Really, there was a very high chance he was dead.

I paused mid-step, feeling a pang of hurt at the thought. I guessed I could ask Robert where Electivire had ended up going...

I almost didn't want to. It would feel like grieving for my uncle all over again.

Instinctively, I turned around, sensing something. Electivire, my Electivire, was towering over me, glowering.

My feet stumbled a step before I stood my ground. I didn't glare back. I looked at him sadly, actually wanting to reach out to him. Hug him. It was the first time I'd really felt like hugging Electivire. I had always been a bit repulsed in getting close to him when he reminded me so much of my uncle's. But now...

"If you want to hurt me, you can. I deserve it." I said, my voice not at all rough.

Electivire didn't move.

"All of those years of abusing you... I can't ever make up for that."

He hissed at me, as if trying to prove himself. He was so like me. I'd turned him into a monster.

"I'm so sorry." I realized I was losing count of how many times I'd said sorry in the past two days. And yet I didn't find it pathetic, "I'm so sorry, Electivire."

His glare faltered for a second.

"I thought that by doing that to you, I was being strong." I explained, "And I never told you why I treated you like that. And if you'd listen, I'd be very grateful."

Electricity sparked off of him and he didn't seem to be in the mood for talking. But I didn't understand why.

"Don't you want to hear?" I asked, thinking back on all the times spent with my uncle's own partner.

He held a finger to his head, I already know.

"How? How could you know?" For the first time in a very long time, I was absolutely confused, "Did Demi tell you?"

He shook his head.

"You know about my uncle?" I asked, dumbfounded.

He looked a bit uncertain before some sort of realization crossed his face. He nodded.

"And his Electivire?"

He snorted and nodded angrily.

My brain sped through possibilities, none of them making sense, "You've been in the forest. Who could have told you about all of this?"

Electivire pointed to himself.

Himself? No, of course not. That was stupid.

He emphasized the pointing again, gesturing fully to himself.