Chapter 11: Dinner Disaster

(Unedited, 1st draft) 

Chapter 11: Dinner Disaster

Connor sat on the couch with his hands in his lap like he was waiting to be punished for something. "You know it's not too late. I call simply call his room and tell him we can't make it."

"No," was all he said. I've only seen him like this a few times and it worried me with what could be going through his head right now. Connor always had a problem with keeping things to himself when he didn't want to speak about it. His face express would become hard and when asked what was wrong he simply shut me out.

I sat down next to him and grip his hand "I can tell having Ryan here is troubling you. Are you sure you don't want to try another night and sleep on it?"

"No Mom," he simply put has there was a knock on the door.

Either one of moved has we both looked over at the door. I knew the moment I open that door it there was no turning back, we would have to act like some loving family. I knew Connor wasn't ready for this, but deep down I knew I wasn't either.

"Ayanna," Ryan spoke on the other side of the door before knocking once again.

That's when Connor let go of my hand and stood up and walked over to the door. As he put his hand on the door handle he hesitated for a moment before unlocking the door, "Hello Ryan." It was quiet for a moment and with the door still partially close I wasn't able to see his face express. I knew hearing Connor call him by his name and not dad had to hurt.

Getting up I walked to the door and pulled it more open to seeing Ryan face in shock just sharing at the boy next to me, "Ryan are you ready?"

"I thought we just stay here and have dinner," he utter has Connor turn around and walked back into the suit. "This isn't going anywhere never has planned as I thought it would ."

"What did you expect?" I question still trying to figure out what it was our son was feeling. "You never told me about what you said on the phone the last time the two of you talked."

That's when it seem like everything clicked, "It's not what it seems, I think he took what I said out of context."

Hanging my head I knew this wasn't going to go well, "Let's just try to get past dinner and see what happens. Just don't try to push yourself on him or he'll just block you out for good."

"Sounds like someone else I know," he laughs, but I could still hear the uneasiness in his voice has he walked in. Turning around I saw that Connor was back to his regular spot, zoned out. "Is that his normal behavior."

"He's been like that since he saw you earlier," I reply going over to sit down next to me leaving Ryan standing there looking about the room. "Connor."

"Mom," he replies looking over at me with worried blue eyes. Looking closely I could tell he was on the brink of tears. "Do I have to be here? I want to go shoot some hoops with Samuel."

"Connor your father here to see you and get to know you," I reply as I watched Ryan sit down on the coffee table across from us looking over at the both of us.

"Go have fun with your friend. I don't want you to feel obligated to see me. I just want a chance to explain myself and get to you know." Ryan specified reaching for Connor's hand but hesitated and drops his hand back into his own lap. "I know I hurt you during our last conversation, but I'm here now and want to get to know you."

"No, you're here for a friend's wedding. Not to see me." Connor screamed now standing up. "Just go away. You're Not My Father." he ran off slamming the door to his room.