Chapter 12:Crossing Lines

(Unedited, first draft)

Chapter 12: Crossing Lines

With the unexpected wedding, it kept me on my toes with helping the wedding planner set everything up to the betrothed couple expectations. It seems my father had most of everything already set up, so it was all that stressful, but still with Ryan around it was throwing my nerves at an all-time high. He would simply follow us around, but never saying anything direct to me but to Brain and Victoria on what would illustrate their vision more.

The only time Ryan wasn't around was during the evening hours when Connor would get home from school, and they disappear to the basketball courts. One the first day Samuel, Connor's best friend, join them, but on the second night, he left early and Ryan finally had the alone time he wanted. I could tell Connor was still unsure about Ryan, but he made it appear, he was enjoying having him around.

After they were done practicing for the day, they both come up to the suit and have dinner. At that every first night we had been having dinner together, and it was starting to feel like we had been a family for years with everyone getting along and joking among one another.

"Are you going to come back after the wedding?" Connor asked one night during dinner.

Ryan gazed over at me with a smile, "I plan on it."

"Maybe I can stay with you this summer." I should have known since they had been spending so much time together, this was going to have some kind of effect on him.

"Don't worry buddy, you will be seeing me again in a few weeks." I couldn't quite figure out what he was trying to devise but knew he was up to something that I wouldn't be pleased about. "You know you still owe me that date, Ayanna."

I had hope with me working during the day and him spending time with Connor, he would have forgotten about the entrapment he put me in with making me go out with him. "Yes, what about it?"

That's when his smile turns into a playful one, and I knew I was in trouble. "Well given I don't have a date for the wedding, I thought maybe you liked to go with me."

"Can I come along," Connor interrupted now perk up in his chair. "Brain's cool."

Ryan's eyes shifted over to our son and away from me, "There isn't going to be any other kids there, but if you want to come, then I wouldn't mind to bring you also."

Connor then slumps back in his chair, "No I don't want to go if there's not going to be any other kids. Can I just go to Samuel's?"

"Maybe Samuel can come here, and he can stay the night. You can even invite some of the other boys from your team over." Trying to think of a way out of going to the wedding.

"Is that your way of telling me, No, to being my date?" Ryan interferes eyeing me closely over the rim of his glass.

"Mom, go with Ryan to the wedding. I just want to go to Samuel' suit." Connor interferes now done with his food. He got up putting his dishes in the sink before turning to go to his room. "I need to go, finish my homework."

"So Saturday one clock?" Ryan asked seeming pleased about our son's approval on me going to the wedding.

"Isn't there some bride maid you can talk into going with you? If you haven't noticed I have a company I'm trying to help run." I mention hoping he would understand I had no intention of going out with him.

Ryan made a sour appearance on his face wrinkling his nose and sticking his tongue out. "Have you seen those girls. There nothing but a bunch of sorority bimbos, who have rocks for brains." His eyes scratch together while I moved out in my chair uneasy. "You know if you refuse to go with me, I could simply just come up here after the ceremony and join in on the sleepover. I'm sure I would be more fun with a bunch of boys then some mom hanging around."