When She's On

I just wanna drop a quick thank you in here, to let ya'll know how much I appreciate the votes. I would like to know if you like Ward's point of view or if I should keep it strictly on Cassie? I'd really appreciate knowin'.

You guys are the best!

<3 Kay

Ward

It was five thirty in the morning and I was hording the cake Cassie had sent home with me. I made the mistake of trying to bring it to work, thinking that I'd be able to scarf down another piece after I made it through the leftovers she'd put together for me. Much to my surprise, she'd tucked two large pieces of homemade french bread in and sliced up the chicken to layer as lunch meat. I was more than grateful for her thoughtfulness. It was like the fuckers I hired to work with me had noses like blood hounds because as soon as I lifted the lid off of the containers, there were twin knocks on my office door. I didn't have enough time to hide the cake before the door swung open and my foreman and best friend stepped into the room. I groaned as their eyes zeroed in on it.

"I'm not sharing." Flew immediately out of my mouth. "I'll kill you both if you touch any of it." A little extreme, but I was desperate. This was the first non-grilled, non-store bought or non-fast food meal I'd had in nearly six weeks. I wasn't giving up any of it. Cassie's cooking reminded me of Mamaw's, and since I'd been too busy to visit, it was like a taste of home.

Trey simply raised a dark bushy brow at me and Daniel just grinned. I knew they were going to ask who made it, we all knew I couldn't cook for shit. The last time I tried to make Ramen out of the microwave, I ended up ruining a sauce pan and having to air out my apartment for two days. It wasn't a pretty memory, but it was a good reminder of why I ate take out or grilled meat ninety percent of the time. I refused to buy into their bait as I shoved the plate of meat into the microwave. Instead of turning back to them, I watched the plate circulate. Maybe they'd get the hint to go away.

"So,"

No, of course not.

I slowly rotated toward them.

And just about launched myself at my best friend of twenty years.

His dirty, grungy hands were digging into my precious cake. Okay, so he was using a fork, but still. It was my cake. And he was stealing a fork out of the pencil holster of utensils and handing it off to an awe faced Daniel. Who then followed suit and dug in.

My precious cake.

"Sweet Lord, who made this?" Daniel mumbled, taking another bite. At this, I grinned and launched into my tale of meeting my wonderful new neighbor, Cassidy. Their eyes were wide as they continued to shove their faces and between retrieving my leftovers and piling them on the bread, I explained how she'd bundled up the spare food and sent me on my way.

Finally, Trey broke the silence.

"So, you're saying a gorgeous woman moved into the Bachelor Pad, invited in you into her home, supplied you with beers, dinner and dessert and then sent you home with leftovers? And she didn't demand anything from you?" I nodded and groaned. The bred was light and airy, sprinkled with taste-bud tantalizing herbs and balanced out the creamy goodness inside of her chicken. Looking up, Trey seemed suspicious and, but I trusted my gut enough to know that Cassie wasn't playing nice because she knew exactly how much I was worth. I understood his concern and truly appreciated it, but it wasn't necessary. Trey had been by my side when I had met Delaney Marcus years ago and watched as she had tried to milk me for every cent. I wasn't making that mistake again.

"Maybe you should consider doing a background check on her, just in case." I stopped mid-chew and glared up at him. He was too busy looking out the window of the trailer to even notice.