Forever And Ever, Amen

So, this is it for Cassie and Ward, but like I said, this wouldn't be the last you see of them.

I just want to let y'all know that this process wouldn't have been so great without you reading, commenting and voting. I hope y'all have enjoyed this as much as I have. Please let me know what you think and don't be afraid to comment!

Much love and many thanks,

xxKay

Cassie

"Happy Birthday!"

The sheer noise from the crowd was deafening and I had to cover my ears as I weaved through the packed house. Beau and Breigh's sixteenth birthday was turning out to be way more work that I'd ever anticipated. They'd both demanded their own themes and separate cakes, but they both wanted it on the same day and at the exact same time. Just one of the struggles of having twins with totally different personalities.

The entire house, both floors, were covered in a mix of camos, one more feminine for my baby girl. We had fought them hard in order to get them to agree on that much considering Breigh had originally demanded a black and white tea party while Beau had wanted a CoD shindig. They had gotten separate cakes, but only because it was easier on me, and their groups of friends seemed to be mingling well. While the teenagers were inside doing their thing, the adults were outside grilling hot dogs, chicken breasts and burgers and enjoying the make-shift family reunion.

"Baby, come sit down, please. The kids are fine." Ward said, patting the chair beside him invitingly. My aching feet were screaming at me to do so, but I felt there was so much stuff to do before I could. I had the gluten free cupcakes in the oven because three of Breigh's friends couldn't digest and I felt bad for them. I had three large bowls of punch to make, dishes that needed to be put up and I still had sides to make for the adults. I would've asked for help but even Isa was busy dealing with her little surprise. Luke and Isabella had been shocked (if that was even the word to describe it) six months ago to find out that she was four months pregnant with a baby that was nearly eighteen years younger than their Lina. Lina had taken it in stride for the most part, but she had her moments when she couldn't believe that her parents had another baby. My kids had expressed their gratitude for Ward and I stopping after five.

Oh, right. Number five.

Well, little Warren came as a big surprise three years after the twins. I'd been on medicine and we'd been intentionally careful, but it seems that Warren was destined to be ours. Warren was my artistic baby and he spent most of his time holed up in his bedroom playing the guitar we bought him a few years ago. He was truly talented. He was definitely the spitting image of his father and at only 13 he stood over a foot taller than me.

Likewise, both of my other boys were tall.

Walker's baby blues and charming smile were heart stopping and at nineteen he was thriving at UT Austin. He stood just at six-one and had a head full of beautiful blond hair that had caused our Winter a great deal of envy. He had played football all through high school and had received a full ride scholarship. He had full plans to take over his father's construction company when Ward eventually retired and was majoring in business management.

Beau was nearly as tall as his father was, just at six-four and his silver eyes had gotten him a fair amount of dates even at his age. This was something that I wasn't fond of but I knew it was part of growing up. At least we hadn't run into any other issues when it came to girls. He played mostly baseball, but his great love was science and I had learned his freshman year that my middle boy would likely be going pre-med once he graduated college.

Winter was our girly girl and aspiring head cheer leader for the Red Mire Timber Wolves. She looked like me somewhat, but had gotten Ward's thick dark hair and quirky smile. She preferred to go by Breigh and she enjoyed being in the kitchen with me, whether it was here at home or at Delish!I I had a feeling that my little girl was going to be applying to culinary school after graduation.

Looking at Wylie physically hurt sometimes. She was Carrie's twin. She stood half a foot taller at five-seven and had the ethereal beauty same as my late sister. At eighteen she still lived at home and was enrolling in college come fall, her heart was set on going to the Art Institute in Fort Worth where a good friend of the family lived, but I hoped she'd go to school near us or Walker. When she'd turned sixteen, Ward and I had sat down and told her the truth about Carrie. She'd refused to talk to me for a week solid and had tried to tell me I wasn't her mother, but I wasn't having any of that and neither was Ward. I had woken her up at four o'clock one morning and we'd taken a drive out to the place we'd buried Carrie. We had spent an entire day talking about her and sharing memories, and finally I'd had to break down and tell her about her father. That was the worst discussion of all but we'd made it through it and I had an amazing relationship with my oldest girl.

As for me and Ward? We were fantastic, actually. We'd celebrated out seventeenth year of marriage and were still so much in love. He came home early some days and swept me off on a date. About five years ago though, our marriage hit a rocky spot when he lost his Papaw. The elder Ward Montgomery had gone to sleep one night and simply not woken up. It had been a heartbreaking time for him and not even I had been able to be around him for a few weeks. I understood because I wasn't sure what I'd do if I lost my Daddy. Other than that, we'd had a great marriage. We'd finally moved into an actual house the year the twins were born, a large two story home on a few acres of land. Ward still ran his business with Daniel and Trey, who had finally warmed up to me, and I was always glad to have those two and their significant others over.

I still worked at Delish with Donnie, Texas and Emilie and I loved my little gang. Donnie and Jack had adopted a beautiful little girl three years after the twins were born, her name was Nila Linn and she was the perfect addition to their home and she fit in so well with my bunch. I actually suspected that my Walker had a crush on her, but only time would tell.

As for Emilie and Jaxon, well the decided two was enough, but once their boys reached the right age, we understood why. Wyatt, their oldest was a good kid with a penchant for trouble, but that had ended when he enlisted in the Marines. But Alex? Well... He was a little trouble maker and I was weary about allowing Warren to play with him. I'm sure he'd straiten out eventually, but that might take a bit of time.

And Texas? Well, that was a story for another time.

I glanced up at my husband, who was leaned against a chair smiling at another bad joke my Dad told him, still so in love with him despite the silver hairs he'd pointed out last week. Without Ward, I wasn't sure where my life would be, but one thing was for sure, I was damn glad I never had to find out. I had five wonderful children, all successful, thriving, brilliant and kind, that I loved with every ounce of my soul. I had wonderful friends and family, who had my back no matter what. And I had a husband who loved me more than life itself.

I was one lucky woman.