prologue

.....

Some people say you have to fight like hell to get the things you want. I didn't believe those people. Until now.

I was 14 when diagnosed with Stage 4 Thyroid cancer. It came to a startle to my entire family considering the fact that I was one of the healthiest people in my family. We started chemotherapy almost immediately after I was diagnosed.

It wasn't long before my entire life became filled with doctor's visits and prescription drugs. Every week I would be hauled off to the hospital to get medical shots. Without these shots, my lungs would probably fill with fluid in an instant; and let me just tell you that not being able to breathe is shitty.

A few years later when I was about 17 I met Luke.

I had graduated high school a year early with a G.E.D, and had moved to L.A. to get away from my old life. My parents, the bitches in my small town, everything.

One night, I was sitting at a bus stop when a young man stumbled upon me. He was definitely drunk, with another man beside him laughing. They were standing at the stop, slurring words to each other, and I was trying to mind my own business.

I was hugging my oxygen tank to my chest, waiting patiently for the bus to arrive. They eventually had someone in a car pick them up and drive them away. Little did I know that it wouldn't be the last time I saw those two.

About a week after that I was sitting on a coffee shop, reading one of my favorite novels while nibbling on a bagel, when he walked in. I hadn't recognized him at first, but once I glanced up, I couldn't glance back down.

I had found it funny that he was the same man I saw the other night at the bus stop. He was much more sober this time, and came in alone.

Long story short, he had somehow also recognized me and bought me some coffee and we exchanged numbers.

Now, two years later, I am about to turn 19 and he is on his second tour.

Me and him had stayed in touch and became great friends.

So this is my story.

The story of I had to fight like hell to get both him, and myself back.

.....