Chapter 10: Details

"Hey, I'm back," Camila said cautiously to Vanessa as she motioned for Lauren to stay in the hall momentarily. She held the door open and peeked around the corner. Vanessa literally hadn't moved at all, still lying there with her phone. To Camila's greeting, she acted as if she hadn't arrived at all. There were no headphones in her ears or anything to prevent her from hearing or seeing Camila walking in. That was a conscious, deliberate decision to blatantly ignore her.

"She didn't even look at me. We'll be fine," Camila mentioned to Lauren, still offended but trying not to give heed to it much.

Camila led Lauren into the room that was a perfect copy of her own. Lauren leered at Vanessa as if to show her disgust with her for her mistreatment of Camila. Lauren was grateful that she wasn't up for conversation. She didn't have the energy to pretend to be nice today, especially towards someone who was a bitch so openly.

Lauren sat on the edge of the bed and felt herself succumbing to the awkwardness Vanessa was causing them. In an endeavor to override it, she asked Camila a question. "What was your favorite part?"

"What, are we on Dora right now?" Camila smirked.

"Shut up," Lauren pushed her leg playfully. "I'm serious."

"That was mine, too!" Camila mocked Dora again and succeeded in making Lauren laugh.

"You're so annoying," Lauren said, but it didn't hold much weight.

"I actually don't have one. I liked the whole thing. This can go down as one of my favorite days. You know?" Camila shrugged. "I have a lot of favorite moments. They're highlights. Most of the time, my entire day wasn't all that great, but that one moment was. I didn't have one of those today. This whole day has been absolutely wonderful," she claimed and indistinctly gestured to Vanessa over there. "Believe it or not."

"I can see that," Lauren smiled appreciatively.

"Yeah, but if I had to pick one part..." Camila tapered off and let her tongue poke through her lips in thought. "Becoming your girlfriend."

"That was mine, too!" Lauren reiterated the Dora reference, but meant it wholeheartedly.

"You're so dumb," Camila laughed and leaned into her, then lifted up to kiss her cheek. Lauren detached herself long enough to prop herself up against the pillows, then Camila came back to her.

They were contiguous for a while. Above the covers and against the pillows, they understood the intimacy without being overbearing. Not restricted in an embrace, but free enough to initiate one if they do desired. Their limbs were just barely touching, and it was enough for them. Two bodies had found hundreds of other ways to hold each other without doing much. The knuckles against Camila's thigh and the toe that was just grazing Lauren's ankle were just as much signs of their affection as a full-fledged cuddle would have been.

"I didn't tell my friends about you," Lauren broke the silence. Her words were for Camila's ears only, ignoring Vanessa just like she was them.

"Is that the kind of relationship this is going to be?" Camila teased, knowing well that there was more to her statement. "I'll have you know, I don't have a secretive bone in my body. You're gonna have to teach me how to tiptoe."

"No," Lauren let out the softest laugh. "I mean, I vaguely mentioned stuff about 'this girl' I met and that I've been seeing lately, but I didn't tell them about you. It was really vague. I just told them stuff like, 'we went out again' or 'she saw me play' or something. They didn't get any details."

"I know what you mean," Camila smiled pleasantly. "That's kind of how I go about it. Tori is the only one that got the full story."

"I never tell them about girls. I usually don't have any reason to, you know. I didn't tell them about the little dates we went on or when we had sex - like most people would freak out to their best friends about - because, I don't know, that's never really been important to me. But I wanna tell them about today. I want them to know your details."