Chapter 14: Broken

Camila was blindsided by Vanessa and Dinah's attack. They'd executed that perfectly, like it had been rehearsed. She didn't know what to make of her relationship with Lauren at the moment. Were they broken up? Were they just not speaking? Did she hate her too, now? Well, no. Camila didn't believe that. The fact that she'd genuinely reached out to help her despite thinking she'd been lied to spoke volumes. Lauren cared about her through her anger. Even so, it only gave Camila a little bit of peace of mind.

Trudging up to her room, she kept her hand on her side. No, really, Vanessa probably broke a rib with all of that force. She didn't know how she was going to make it sharing her room with her tonight. That was just asking for trouble. Camila was dismayed as she produced her card and slid it into the door. When she inched inside, she hardly felt like she could breathe. And it was because she couldn't. Vanessa's impact had given her real difficulties, and she was scared, but she didn't want to panic or overreact. She needed someone to speak to. Tori was the only one who would be willing.

Tori hadn't been present during the whole altercation and Camila was hesitant to drag her into it. But Camila found herself suddenly desperate for her advice. She couldn't sit here and wait for Vanessa to come back and kill her. Going to Tori was beginning to sound better and better as she worried herself. Besides, Tori was sharing a room with someone, too. It wasn't like she'd have real refuge. Camila wouldn't mind sleeping on the couch if it meant she didn't have to face Vanessa again. She needed Tori's instruction, because she'd never screwed up anything this badly before. Considering venturing out to Tori's room once she'd gotten her ice situated, Camila dropped her things and set back out for the ice machine.

On her way there, her optimism peaked. Maybe their luck as a couple could hold out - if they were still a couple. It could be perfect. Lauren would randomly wind up at the same place, perhaps to get a candy bar. She'd run into Camila while she was filling up that ice bucket. They'd look at each other, and Lauren would miraculously realize the truth. It would all be there in her apologetic expression. All would be forgiven. They'd hug and kiss and it would end happily ever after.

Maybe that was a little too optimistic. Camila wondered what she could say to her, or if she should say anything at all when the time comes. Lauren hadn't left on the best note. Camila wanted to mend the situation tonight, but figured it would be best if she left her alone. She didn't want to inflame the problem at hand and dig herself into a deeper hole, and she didn't want to agitate Lauren by stressing the truth all at once. For now, she'd leave it alone. Now, she needed Tori.

Without a plastic bag or anything to contain the ice in, Camila simply put some into one of the towels and held it to her cheekbone there in her room. It stung to the touch, but Lauren said she needed it. Probably for swelling or something. She felt like she needed ice on her entire body, she was so deeply in pain. Her face and her midsection seemed to take turns in which hurt more. She didn't know if she should risk the long way to Tori's room, but seeing Vanessa posed much more of a threat than some extended discomfort.

She made it there eventually after calling to make sure she was there beforehand. Each step infringed on the searing pain in her side. God, this was worse than cramps. It took so much out of her to even knock on the door.

"Tori? I need you," she said immediately when Tori opened her door.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Tori's eyes widened when she took her in. She looked defeated as she stood there, looking so small. The towel was still pressed to her face, shielding the nasty bruise beneath it. All Tori could see was her busted lip and overall disgruntled appearance. "What happened to you?"

"Can I come in? I need to sit down," Camila pleaded, now feeling awfully lightheaded.

"Yeah, of course. Come on," Tori nodded and helped her in as best as she could. She eased Camila onto the couch and tentatively sat next to her, anxiously awaiting the details.