2. Us

I quickly ran across the palace courtyard; It was my dinner time and I didn't want to waste any of it.

"Raven!"

I skidded to a stop and turned to face my master. He was running up to me from way further back than I thought he was. I sneezed and licked my lips;  he needed to hurry up.

"Don't go so fast I cant keep up!" He huffed.

I huffed back; he needed to get fitter.

As he reached my side I trotted with him. Maybe he didn't notice it but I had never in my whole life with him been more than 10 meters away from him. We were constant companions and with the nature of me growing up we were technically exactly the same age, we shared the same birthday as well.

As we entered the royal dining hall, the Queen (Bentley's step mother) stood at the end, glaring at him.

"You're late! Hurry up next time, you're eighteen, take some responsibility!" She nagged and Bentley rolled his emerald eyes as he slopped down onto the chair.

I sat right beside him, looking at him while wagging my tail. He looked down and smiled. "And what would you like this evening, Raven?" I barked loudly and placed my head on his lap. The servants all walked up with lamb and vegetables for Bentley and a giant beef leg for me.

I licked my lips and whined when the Queen shook her head. "That is way too big a portion for a simple mutt. Just cut a piece off and save it for tomorrow!"

I barked in despair at them when they started obediently walking away. Bentley just laughed trying to hide the big portion he had. Luckily for him the Queen was done ordering around for one  night. She quickly disappeared out of the room, relaxing the atmosphere immediately.

When the servants came back, I moaned at the small portion they put on the table. I jumped onto the chair and immediately started gulping it down.  When I finished I turned my intense glare to Bentley who was playing with his food looking uninterested. He looked up and laughed at me in amusement.

Suddenly the head servant came bursting through the door making us both jump.

"You! Off the chair!" He clicked his fingers pointing to the floor. I jumped off and rolled onto my belly below him in submission. There was literally no point messing with him. The punishment of no food was not worth it.

"Young prince, you do not want me seeing that mutt on the table again. Grow up you do not need a animal to sit with you at the table like it's your friend or something!" He stepped over me and walked over to the other servants. Bentley moaned and rolled his eyes before smiling mischievously. He pointed to the floor and I came trotting up to him. He picked up a piece of lamb from his plate and dangled it in front of me. Yummy!

He then threw it at the head servant and it landed on his head, obviously for a reason. I galloped up to him, having to pretend I was just following instinct.

"Wha..what the hell is-" I crashed into him sending him falling to the floor before picking up the piece of lamb and eating it.

Meanwhile Bentley sounded like he was having a fit from laughter.

"ARGH BENTLEY, HOW DARE YOU!"

Bentley quickly called me back under the table before he could get up. As he got up all the servants ran away, knowing sticking around was a really bad idea.

I looked at Bentley, unimpressed; although pushing him over like that was funny, I wasn't sure it was worth it.

His face was a bright, vibrant red as he faced us.