10. secrets

I growled as i tried to bite through the metal bars. It was no use. 

The guards had thrown me in this dog cage then totally forgot about me. I had been here ages and was getting more and more frustrated with myself.

A smashing noise made me turn around and i narrowed my eyes as i looked down the hallway. I stood up in my cage and growled as i heard footsteps coming closer. They got louder and louder and i growled more as i felt even more agitated. 

I got ready to be attacked or shot from in the cage but what i saw next shocked me even more. I growled in confusion as a very familiar figure walked up to my cage.

I looked into Jake's crystal blue eyes. He knelt down and put his hand onto my head threw the bars. “i know what you are raven. I know you can understand every word i say” i lifted my head up and looked at him in shock.

He sighed and sat down , leaning against the cage. “you are a werewolf aren’t you? I know.  i knew you were special  ever since i met you. I had no idea why you kept yourself from everyone. Then i was told you were a dire wolf and i got confused” i whined and he looked me in the eyes. “you are special right even if you were a direwolf  i’m sure you wouldn’t be so in control. So if you are a werewolf why don’t you change. maybe because your half dire wolf you don’t change.”

I rested my head on my front paws and sighed. He gave me a sad look and looked at the lock. “i know you either cant change or wont. But you need hands to get out of this cage and i cant reach inside. You must at least try!” i looked up at his desperate face but i just couldn’t. I had an instinct to not show humans who i was and i couldn’t defy it.

As if reading my mind he smiled. “i will show you my secret if you show me yours.” I gave him a questioning look. He leaned in and started chuckling in my ear. “i'm not human either.”

I got up and growled at him.  Is he lying and finding this funny. He put his hands up “I’m not joking i swear”. I eyed him suspiciously and he sighed. “fine if i don’t prove it too you once we get out of here you can rip me to pieces.” I sighed. I felt like i could trust him. But i was very weak in human form, last time i checked anyway.

I stepped towards the cage door and studied the lock. I would easily be able to open them with human hands. And i don’t think Jake could reach it. I looked at him again and he just smiled instantly at me. I couldn’t, no matter how much i trusted him my instincts were too strong.

I whined and shook my head. He sighed “i understand. I guess I'm going to have to prove it too you then.” He gulped and i sat down. “umm.. well ..phew i can do this”

there was a long pause and i tilted my head in confusion; I don’t see anything different about him. I sniffed and could suddenly smell animal. Then there was a loud crack and Jake winced. I stood up and whined licking the cold bars. “i..i’m okay..just.. be .. patient okay!” he suddenly started turning black. I whined again and paced up and down my cage( which was literally just two steps long).

His eyes turned goldish and then he started to fold and crunch up. I slowly watched as he grew fur and a tail. Then his nose grew longer and turned into a black muzzle. I looked back at his body and saw four legs with paws. Then he looked at me and i saw a black wolf my size. He was a werewolf! he was that wolf!

 I just stared at him, completely shocked. He gazed into my eyes , instantly calming me. See we are the same i jumped at this random voice in my head. 

I then heard a chuckle wow you obviously haven’t seen another werewolf before have you? remember it from earlier , nothing to be scared of , you didn't really think i was just a wolf did you?   I shook my head and he kind of smiled.