Chapter 20

Chapter 20

After wandering aimlessly around the Candor compound alone for a couple of hours, I decide to make my way back to the floor that the Dauntless refugees have unofficially claimed. I've had too much time with my less than pleasant thoughts and I need the distraction of conversation with someone who isn't me.

Wearily, I step onto the Dauntless floor, keeping my eyes open for any sign of Tris. I don't want to talk to her right now. I don't want to see her right now.

But, as I peep around the corner of the wall, I don't see her in the hallway. Or anyone for that matter. And then I realize that everyone is probably sleeping. I guess I hadn't realized that so much time had passed while I was on my own.

Quietly, I walk to the men's shared room and open the door as softly as I can. A few muted snores are the only noises in the room. I make it to my bed without waking anyone and climb inside.

I clear my mind and let sleep take over.

I wake to the sound of rustling sheets and hushed voices. From the darkness coming in from the window, I know that it's well before dawn. I wait for my eyes to adjust before I make out Zeke and Uriah huddled closely together in a bed near my own.

"Hey," I whisper, "Zeke!"

He turns at the sound of his name and breaks out into a smile when he sees my face.

"Four!" He whispers back. "We're just going over the eavesdropping plans again. Get over here."

I rub the sleep out of my eyes before climbing out of bed and making my way over to the two of them. When I reach them, I tell them to fill me in on the plans.

"Well, Uriah and I are going to set up in buildings around the bridge to take the long shot, if we need to. Obviously we'll be heading there soon so we won't be seen too close to the meeting time. And I finally got Shauna to come around. Her, Lynn and Tris are going up close. The plan is—"

"Wait," I say, cutting Zeke off. "Tris is going to eavesdrop?"

Zeke looks at me confusedly before he lets out a simple "yes."

I clench my fists at my side and grind my teeth to prevent myself from losing it. What is she thinking? Tris hasn't been able to hold a gun since the attack on Abnegation and has been acting completely reckless since then as well. It's as if she has no regard for her own life.

Well, I do. I care whether she lives or dies. I care whether she puts herself in life-threatening situations. Dammit. I just wish she would care too. It's too hard for me to protect her life when she keeps trying to throw it away like this.

I stand from where I'm sitting and bolt from the room. I make my way over to the girl's sleeping quarters, but stop myself short when I see Lynn outside of the room.

"Lynn," I say, my tone hard. She looks up and her eyes widen. "Where is Tris?"

I only have a second to hope that Tris isn't already on her way over to the bridge where the Erudite and Candor meeting is to take place. Lynn says nothing, probably put off by the expression on my face, but motions to the women's bathroom just down the hall. A small sigh escapes my lips as I head in that direction, already trying to think of what I'm going to say to Tris.

"Tris?" I say while knocking softly on the door. I inch the door open slowly and squeeze myself through. Tris stands in front of the sinks, her face red and blotchy, a gun at her feet.

"Zeke and Uriah told me you were going to eavesdrop on Jack," I say after a minute of silence between us.

"Oh," is all Tris says in reply.